• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3.x's

prosfilaes

Adventurer
What are the different roleplaying games that might qualify as D&D 3.x? There's features of PF and 3.5 that I've been less than happy with, and I was curious what was done in other systems. I'm not really interested in retroclones; I can find lists of those easy enough elsewhere. I've linked the SRDs, or barring that quick start rules.

By the most narrow definition:
D&D 3.0 SYSTEM REFERENCE DOCUMENT
D&D 3.5 The Hypertext d20 SRD (v3.5 d20 System Reference Document) :: d20srd.org
Pathfinder Pathfinder_OGC
Arcana Unearthed (& Arcana Evolved) (new races; I consider this marginal, but I've never got a chance to really look at it, so I'll defer to others)
Trailblazer

Retro-y:
Castles and Crusades http://www.trolllord.com/downloads/pdfs/tlg2010quickstartpdf.pdf

Simplified away from D&D:
True20 http://true20.com/files/True20_quickstart.pdf

Specialized away from D&D:
Iron Heroes
FantasyCraft
Conan RPG (though the RPGnet review made it seem pretty similar to D&D)
OGL Ancients
Warriors & Warlocks (specialized M&M ruleset for fantasy play, like Fantasy HERO is to HERO)
Black Company
Lone Wolf RPG
Wheel of Time RPG

Anything I missed, particularly in the "most narrow" group?

(I've added things people suggested below; thanks to Dannyalcatraz, Eric Anondson and delericho.)

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Unearthed Arcana
Actually, that's a WotC product, partially incorporated into the SRD. You mean Arcana Unearthed (variant 3Ed) and it's revision, Arcana Evolved, which is probably as close to 3.5Ed as any other game out there.

Others I'd include:

Midnight 1Ed & 2Ed

Fantasycraft

Warriors & Warlocks (specialized M&M ruleset for fantasy play, like Fantasy HERO is to HERO)

Trailblazer

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Fantasycraft
I'd put this as specialized away from.
Another as specialized away from
Trailblazer
Rather darn close to 3.x, I'd fit this in the narrow definition group.

Others, how about Black Company? The magic system is simply far far different (it became the True Sorcery rules), excellent career rules and gritty surprise rules, but otherwise the system is remarkably similar. Maybe more towards the "away from group" . . .

Iron Kingdoms?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
IMHO, AU/AE should probably be treated much like Pathfinder:

1) Most of the classes are recognizable as variants of the ones in 3Ed & 3.5Ed.

2) The racial class levels are basically an improved version of what appeared in Savage Species.

3) The lesser & greater spell versions are not unlike spells with Metamagic effects.

The big differences are in the base PC races...but you could have essentially the same kind of array with 3.5Ed splatbooks & HRs.

prosfilaes

Adventurer
Iron Kingdoms?

Thanks for the suggestions and categories, both of you!

As for Iron Kingdoms, I looked at Iron Kingdoms: Character Guide | Privateer Press and it implies its an add-on to D&D, not a new game. Haven't seen the book, and the "Heaps of new skills" makes me run in terror instead of run out to buy it. D&D skills are pretty narrowly balanced; the last thing we need is heaps more of them.

I have put Trailblazer on my to-buy list, though.

GreyLord

Legend
I prefer the Castles and Crusades if any of what you posted above from 3.X, however one other complete system not listed yet is the

Lone Wolf RPG

though it's more of an offshoot.

SiderisAnon

First Post
While it is not fantasy, "Mutants and Masterminds" uses 3.5 as its base. It moved quite a bit away, removing classes for a point based system for example, so it may no longer qualify for what you're looking for.

delericho

Legend
While it is not fantasy, "Mutants and Masterminds" uses 3.5 as its base. It moved quite a bit away, removing classes for a point based system for example, so it may no longer qualify for what you're looking for.

There is a fantasy supplement for Mutants & Masterminds, though, which might count.

Also, the "Wheel of Time" RPG from WotC. Very close to 3.0e, but with different classes, only two playable races, and a different magic system.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads