• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Movie/TV D&D 2 is possibility still

Zardnaar

Legend
Hasbro did light marketing, mentioned in their own Q1 report, but was unquantified. They said it would show on the Q2 report.

Also, they clearly weren't expecting a box office profit.

For Hasbro licensed movies are advertisements for their product line. This is why they're selling all but the licensed IP portions of eOne.

The evidence that the advertising worked is in the massive new interest in D&D over the last six months, greater than every other 5e event combined, including Critical Role

That's pure spin. There are some sale figures there was a small spike around HATs release they sold a few thousand extra phb for about 4 weeks.

Sales of recent adventures are down around 50% from a few years ago.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
That's pure spin. There are some sale figures there was a small spike around HATs release they sold a few thousand extra phb for about 4 weeks.
Speaking of spin, did you just claim that Target and Walmart sales were completely representative of all of D&D books sold during the last six months?

Speaking of spin, did you bring up adventures, zero of which were released during the movie build up as a way to say that there was no advertising bump for D&D?

Speaking of spin, did you just fail to recognize that brand recognition and attribution aren't directly connected, particularly in the modern marketing context? Because that's true for every product, in every field. And those working in marketing are not doing what you are insisting they do.

Search shows and complete and utter growth of D&D interest that is directly connected to the movie release. No spin. Just the facts that matter to the people who make a living looking at marketing data.

M_Natas

Hero
The problem with the Movie is, that it was not good advertisment for D&D the RPG.
Yes, Honor among Thieves is a fun movie. I even got the blu-ray. It even feels like a typical D&D campaign to D&D players (at least it did to me), but it didn't incite in me the wish to play D&D like the stranger things D&D scenes did.
I'd you file of the name D&D of Honor among Thieves you get a good fantasy comedy movie but not something that incites you to play an RPG.
And that is the big failure of Hasbro and WotC. Even if the Movie would have inspired me or others to start to play D&D, there was no movie tie in adventure or starter set to on board new players who like the movie.

Let's say the Movie ticket wad 15$. That makes 13 million people who watched the D&D Movie. Let's say half of that are non players. So 6,5 Million people. If
10% of those would have become interested to play D&D a Honor Among Thieves Beginners Box would have been an ultimate bestseller. 650 000 people buying a Box Set for 20$. That's another 13 million income. If half of that kept playing after the box set and bought the PHB that's another 16 million income. And if of those who continued playing 1/5 becomes DMs, big spenders who buy let's say 5 books that's another 16 million income.
But there was no boxed set. No simple onboarding for players who got interested trough the movie.
D&D has a pretty high barrier od entry to play in comparison to other games/mediums. You have to learn a complex rule system, you have to find mother players and you have to schedule with them.
A computer game I just buy, download and play. No hassle.
So Hasbro/WotC should have made it easier for people who got interested trough the movie to play D&D with a Honor Among Thieves Starter Set. Something that fans of the film easily can identify and that makes it super easy to start playing (as easy as it can get to start an TTRPG).
Like if I just watched the movie and googled D&D, what do I buy? Where do I start? There are two starter sets, and essentials kit, a player handbook, a dungeon masters guide? If I don't have D&D experience I would get choice paralysis.
A Honor Among Thieves Starter Set would eliminate that choice paralysis. It would be the logical start for Fans of the Movies.
But except for npc sheets on D&D beyond, there were no RPG tie ins to the movie that are easily accessible.
So Hasbro/WotC dropped the ball on increasing the core competence of D&D with their 150 Million Movie-Marketing.

Clint_L

Hero
Going by population size, 38M to 330M, the latter
40+ million at last count - Canada is in the middle of a population surge!

Which probably puts our share of the "domestic" box office at around 12%, give or take. Unless there is some reason to suppose that the D&D movie is unusually popular or unpopular in Canada (but usually the latter happens with films that are particularly "American").

mamba

Legend
In e-commerce, there is always a pretty direct link. More clicks = more buys, in the aggregate.
I am not saying there is no correlation, I am saying what ultimately matters is sales, not Google searches. I doubt sales increased by 50% just because searches did however, we will see how sales changed when they release the 2Q numbers I guess

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I am not saying there is no correlation, I am saying what ultimately matters is sales, not Google searches. I doubt sales increased by 50% just because searches did however, we will see how sales changed when they release the 2Q numbers I guess
Speaking from experience from work completely unrelated to TTRPGs, the link is pretty direct link between searches and clicks and sales. Per so many clicks, there will be so many sales. That's just a pretty hard fact of modern business.

mamba

Legend
Speaking from experience from work completely unrelated to TTRPGs, the link is pretty direct link between searches and clicks and sales. Per so many clicks, there will be so many sales. That's just a pretty hard fact of modern business.
So you are expecting sales to have increased by 50%, like the Google searches did?

Remove ads