• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Critic my race...

Flobby

Explorer
I made a new race and was hoping someone could look it over and
let me know if it seems balanced...
It's a clairvoyant offshoot of humans BTW.

Ability Scores: +2 Wisdom; +2 Constitution or Intelligence.
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Normal
Languages: Common, choice of one other
Skill Bonuses: +2 Perception, +2 Insight

Human Adaptability: You gain training in one additional skill from your class skill list.
Resilience: You gain a +2 to saves against charm attacks, poison, and disease.
Vision: You can use Vision as a daily power.
Clairvoyant Reaction: You can use Clairvoyant Reaction as an encounter power.

Clairvoyant Reaction Racial Power

Encounter
Immediate Interrupt Personal
Trigger: You are hit by an attack.
Effect: Add a +2 to the appropriate defense. If your defense higher than your opponent’s attack role, the attack now misses.

Vision Racial Power

Daily
Standard Action Personal
Target: One create or object
Effect: When you touch an object or living creature, you gain a flash of its future or past. The exact nature is up to the DM.

Thanks!

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Strictly from a flavor sense, I don't see what about being a clairvoyant says "I'm tougher and healthier" that warrants a +2 Con. I would think a +Cha would be far more appropriate as some clairvoyants have lots of personal magnetism and know how to "work a crowd".

+2 Perception and Insight - absolutely.

For the Clairvoyant reaction, how about forcing a re-roll and making the opponent take the lesser of the two rolls? I think maybe the halfling already has something like this, but I could be mistaken.

The racial Vision power is the equivalent of the fifth-level Object Reading ritual from Arcane Power. It's a great storytelling device and I don't see it being game-breaking to have it as a daily.

Flobby

Explorer
Thanks for the comments! The Con bonus actually does make sense with the race's background--sorry I know I gave no info on that--

I like the reroll idea but then it would be exactly the same as the Halfling power.

I had no idea that there was a ritual like that already! Thanks for the info.

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
Thanks for the comments! The Con bonus actually does make sense with the race's background--sorry I know I gave no info on that--

The resiliences to charm, poison, and disease don't reflect a clairvoyant to me. (But maybe they fall in line with the background that you mentioned in your response to Herobizkit.)

Instead of making this a race, have you considered making this a specific Humans-only theme? Clairvoyant Reaction seems like an ideal first level feature, the +2 Per and Ins could be the 5th level feature, and Vision could be a swapable Utility power. Just a thought.

Unwise

Adventurer
The resiliences to charm, poison, and disease don't reflect a clairvoyant to me. (But maybe they fall in line with the background that you mentioned in your response to Herobizkit.)

Instead of making this a race, have you considered making this a specific Humans-only theme? Clairvoyant Reaction seems like an ideal first level feature, the +2 Per and Ins could be the 5th level feature, and Vision could be a swapable Utility power. Just a thought.

I like this idea, you could even have a prerequisite on the theme stating that they must be human and have wisdom of 12 or more, to reflect the fact that they are from this distinct group.

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=8569]Flobby[/MENTION]
A paragraph on just what this race's background is would be helpful...

Anyhow, from a purely mechanical perspective, I would nix Human Adaptability because they already get a standard racial bonus to two skills. You might be able to make it a bonus feat instead (but perhaps from a more limited list than most humans get?).

Flobby

Explorer
I was thinking that the bonus skill was too much actually... Maybe the other three abilities are enough... I'll give a little background to the race in a moment here.

Flobby

Explorer
Sorry for the disappearance. Basically the idea behind the race is an off-shoot of humanity that evolved in response to environmental disaster brought about by alien forces--so yeah, it has kind of a sci-fi theme but could be adapted to fantasy as well. Hence the Con bonus and resistance to poison.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads