• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Creating Monstrosities - which school of magic?

akr71

Hero
In the MM it states that while the origins of the owlbear have been long debated, one theory is that a demented wizard created them. If I wanted I wanted to have a foe/NPC who conducted similar experiments, what school of magic should he/she belong to?

Transmutation seems to be the obvious choice. What say you?

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
In the MM it states that while the origins of the owlbear have been long debated, one theory is that a demented wizard created them. If I wanted I wanted to have a foe/NPC who conducted similar experiments, what school of magic should he/she belong to?

Yeah in most case transmutation would be the school, but i could also see enchantment, evocation, illusion or necromancy involved in the creation depending on the creature. Schools of abjuration could be behind the creation of some guardian creatures, enchantment could be used to create animated object and enchanted puppets etc, evocation could create elemental creatures from raw energy, illusion could creature phantasmal creatures in your dreams/nightmares or imaginary and necromancy could create undead obviously or even dark magic aberations etc...

akr71

Hero
I don't have a reason to create this mad wizard yet, it was more of an academic conjecture along the lines of "if a wizard wanted to create an owlbear or similar monstrosity, what would they study?"

That seems the best bet. Conjuration involves teleportation, so you could do a "transporter accident" type thing as an alternative.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing - even some sort of intentional teleport/polymorph mash-up

Yeah in most case transmutation would be the school, but i could also see enchantment, evocation, illusion or necromancy involved in the creation depending on the creature. Schools of abjuration could be behind the creation of some guardian creatures, enchantment could be used to create animated object and enchanted puppets etc, evocation could create elemental creatures from raw energy, illusion could creature phantasmal creatures in your dreams/nightmares or imaginary and necromancy could create undead obviously or even dark magic aberations etc...

I could see spells from many schools being useful in certain instances. Undead infused with elemental magic could be especially creepy.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Transmutation.

For various themes, then you mix in a titch of Necromancy (undead or shadow monstrosities) or a dash of Conjuration (fiends, elementals or any other extraplanar variations).

With just a soupcon of Illusion, Divination, and/or Evocation for additional abilities/"powers": turning invisible or appearing to be something it isn't; seeing invisibility or detecting/"sniffing out" magic; breath weapons or [various effect] laser eyes; and so forth.

DON'T FORGET to wrap the whole Transmutation in a nice crusty layer of Enchantment to maintain complete -verbal and mental- control over the creature.

Stew in boiling cauldron for up to 2 fortnights, which must [and this is essential] include a minimum of 1 full moon.

Let rest a minimum of 1 hour -but no more than 2- to bring to room temperature.

Wreak havok and lay waste to heart's content.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I just realised the title asks for monstrosities creature type specifically so transmutation would be the school other schools i mentioned would be more suited for construct, elemental or undeads.

akr71

Hero
[MENTION=6701422]Plaguescarred[/MENTION] That's ok, I was thinking aberrations too, but forgot to include it in my title. I was thinking The Island of Doctor Moreau meets D&D. A mad scientist/wizard whose lack of ethics results in abominable experiments. The wizard doesn't see what all the fuss is about, since he/she is not a necromancer after all...

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller

I have a Transmuter that hangs out with a Druid that is responsible for most monstrosities in the world.

Harzel

Adventurer
Transmutation.

For various themes, then you mix in a titch of Necromancy (undead or shadow monstrosities) or a dash of Conjuration (fiends, elementals or any other extraplanar variations).

With just a soupcon of Illusion, Divination, and/or Evocation for additional abilities/"powers": turning invisible or appearing to be something it isn't; seeing invisibility or detecting/"sniffing out" magic; breath weapons or [various effect] laser eyes; and so forth.

DON'T FORGET to wrap the whole Transmutation in a nice crusty layer of Enchantment to maintain complete -verbal and mental- control over the creature.

Stew in boiling cauldron for up to 2 fortnights, which must [and this is essential] include a minimum of 1 full moon.

You left out "Frequently stir widdershins." at this step. :)

Let rest a minimum of 1 hour -but no more than 2- to bring to room temperature.

Wreak havok and lay waste to heart's content.

Remove ads