• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Crafting, Resources, and D&D

Greenfield

Adventurer
Okay, so the short answer is that this is a proposed house rule, not something actually found in any of the rule books.

Thanks. The way you'd initially said it, it sounded like you were quoting a rule from someplace and I had no idea where it came from.

Ryujin

Legend
Okay, so the short answer is that this is a proposed house rule, not something actually found in any of the rule books.

Thanks. The way you'd initially said it, it sounded like you were quoting a rule from someplace and I had no idea where it came from.

It's an interpretation of the rules from 1e, as far as I know a house rule for any other released version, and a proposed rule or optional rule for 5e.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Do you allow "Take 10" on Crafting rolls? (Obviously Take 20 is out, since there's the built in factor of destroying your raw materials when you fail by more than 5).

nijineko

Explorer
um, pricey perhaps, but with a wish spell a wizard can instantly create a magic item, which, of course, is also a masterwork item, with a wave of their hand. just kinda wandered across my mind....

Ryujin

Legend
um, pricey perhaps, but with a wish spell a wizard can instantly create a magic item, which, of course, is also a masterwork item, with a wave of their hand. just kinda wandered across my mind....

Depends on the version of D&D. In some, at best you would get the location of the item you wanted.

Do you allow "Take 10" on Crafting rolls? (Obviously Take 20 is out, since there's the built in factor of destroying your raw materials when you fail by more than 5).

Again, it depends on the version of D&D, but generally yes. If attempting to create a masterwork item, then no. When trying to make something exceptional, you always (in my mind, at least) run the risk of a massive screw-up.

Ryujin

Legend
not so much the version of d&d as the price of the item in question, and how the wish was worded. however, previous versions had much less in-rule guidance about how to adjudicate a wish.

speaking of which, i offer the most recent official advice i can find: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sg/20050902a

The comment that I made about being given the location of an item wished for comes from 1e. IIRC 2e made wish somewhat more like the original Limited Wish, which would make it even less effective at such things.

Herzog

Adventurer
Note: this comment is based on the 3.5 edition rules.

Regardless of how you want to use crafting (mundane items) in your campaign, the way the 3.5 crafting skills are set up is rediculous.

If crafting is supposed to be something for NPC's, the crafting rules as represented in the skills section is way too complicated. It should be made more abstract, and moved to the DMG.

If crafting is supposed to be something available to PC's, the crafting rules as represented in the skills section is way too complicated AND too time consuming. It should be split into:
-what can you do during an adventure with your craft skills. (assuming at most 1 or 2 hours of time per day and no workshop)
-what can you do during downtime (assuming 8 hours per day, with or without a workshop available).

It should NOT include 'how to make money using this skill', as that requires a dedication to crafting instead of adventuring.

....just blowing of some steam stemming from years of frustration with the 3.5 mundane crafting system....

Remove ads