• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Converting Old 3E to New 3E standard problems

Matthias

Explorer
Celebrim is right

I have to agree with Celebrim.

Think of 1E, 2E, and 3E as separate languages each with its own grammar structure and vocabulary. What Leopold &c. suggest is a straight literal translation from 1st or 2nd Edition to 3rd, but that isn't a very good approach because the vocabulary rarely translates perfectly; what you get with literal translation can turn out unbalanced or nonsensical in "3E-ese" or result in situations that are totally different from what it would mean in the original, because the "vocabulary" (monsters) can vary widely from one edition to the next.

What has to be done is to intelligently or, shall we say, "creatively" translate from one edition to the next so that the 3E version of a 1E or 2E version is true to the original in terms of the amount of challenge for the player characters and the atmosphere that the original adventure was attempting to create.

It therefore follows that if for one encounter in a 2E module, the party is facing a pack of 12 foo-creatures, and 3E foo-creatures are roughly 1.5 times as powerful as 2E foo-creatures (by virtue of altered game mechanics and/or the whim of the author), then the 3E conversion should have 8 3E-standard foo-creatures. Precise and literal conversion is neither always desireable nor always the best approach because of the changes that have been made from edition to edition in monsters and fundamental game mechanics.

I'd say that maintaining the same overall level of challenge and atmosphere are inherent in the conversion process; any conversion which pays no attention to game balance or atmosphere is an imperfect conversion.

Dragons are a great example of disparate "definitions" of the same monster. 3E dragons are more powerful than 2E dragons and so "2E adult dragon" doesn't translate precisely into "3E adult dragon".

A 2E encounter whose objective is to, for example, challenge a fighter PC by forcing him to use a variety of weapons which he won't likely have all the Weapon Proficiencies for, would have little or no meaning in 3E because the Simple and Martial Weapon Proficiencies in 3E make it trivial for fighters to use lots of different weapons. You would have to stock the encounter with several Exotic weapons (many of which didn't exist in 2E) to provide an equivalent challenge.

Last edited:

Cheiromancer said:
Well, if I download the ESD of the Temple of Elemental Evil, and then I download a conversion, I would hope that the person doing the conversion would have made adjustments. Some monsters are simply much tougher in 3E. An unthinking conversion is actually a significant power-up to the module, and I don't want that.
Heh. As the person who wrote the above mentioned conversion, I just did a straight conversion, no real changes. It turned out that that approach worked fine for the Temple, which is surprisingly correct for 3E, mostly because of the NPCs, which have scaled up at the same rate as the PCs. My real issue with ToEE is the treasure. Even after halving the treasure for the players, they still end up with above average wealth for their levels. Of course, maybe it's because I haven't been killing them often enough (raise dead and true resurrection costs lots of money), but still...

In any case, Gates of Firestorm Keep have turned out to be much harder. I don't quite know what to do, but I suspect I'll go with the dual-path route: a straight conversion, and a conversion with what I think is correct.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Re: Celebrim is right

Matthias said:
I have to agree with Celebrim.

Think of 1E, 2E, and 3E as separate languages each with its own grammar structure and vocabulary. What Leopold &c. suggest is a straight literal translation from 1st or 2nd Edition to 3rd, but that isn't a very good approach because the vocabulary rarely translates perfectly; what you get with literal translation can turn out unbalanced or nonsensical in "3E-ese" or result in situations that are totally different from what it would mean in the original, because the "vocabulary" (monsters) can vary widely from one edition to the next.

What has to be done is to intelligently or, shall we say, "creatively" translate from one edition to the next so that the 3E version of a 1E or 2E version is true to the original in terms of the amount of challenge for the player characters and the atmosphere that the original adventure was attempting to create.

It therefore follows that if for one encounter in a 2E module, the party is facing a pack of 12 foo-creatures, and 3E foo-creatures are roughly 1.5 times as powerful as 2E foo-creatures (by virtue of altered game mechanics and/or the whim of the author), then the 3E conversion should have 8 3E-standard foo-creatures. Precise and literal conversion is neither always desireable nor always the best approach because of the changes that have been made from edition to edition in monsters and fundamental game mechanics.

See it's not your job. I don't understand why people think "I must play balance and make sure it's all hunky dory for the appropriate level of PC's and playing!" It's NOT your job, if you want to spend oodles of time tweaking and balancing each encounter and tailor it for the appropriate ECL, then be my guest. The only problem with that is that it takes TIME and detracts from the original text of the module and ignores what a total conversion does. Now you are not playing the against the giants with 20 hill giants in one room, your playing something else as you feel that 20 hill giants is too much and you want to balance it out. Phoie on that. Leave it up to the DM to play with. You give him the tools, he does what he wants with it.

I'd say that maintaining the same overall level of challenge and atmosphere are inherent in the conversion process; any conversion which pays no attention to game balance or atmosphere is an imperfect conversion.

that's the DM's job, not your job...

Dragons are a great example of disparate "definitions" of the same monster. 3E dragons are more powerful than 2E dragons and so "2E adult dragon" doesn't translate precisely into "3E adult dragon".

neither do hook horrors, grell, trolls, etc. But who am I to say "Well the book says that there is 10 but a party of X can only handle 8 so I'll put in 8". Well now you've gone and changed the module so that it's not the module that it was before but some bastardized version of said works.

If you want to do a conversion, convert it. You want to play balance it, put something in the top or bottom of the page that says NOTE: IN ORDER TO BALANCE PLAY FOR LEVELS X-Z DO THIS! and be done with it. Leave the text alone and convert it as it is WRITTEN in the orginial text.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Thorin Stoutfoot said:

In any case, Gates of Firestorm Keep have turned out to be much harder. I don't quite know what to do, but I suspect I'll go with the dual-path route: a straight conversion, and a conversion with what I think is correct.

just make some notes at the bottom of the conversion and label it as PLAYBALANCE NOTES and be done with it. That's the easiest thing to do and you can say what you would like to keep and what needs to be changed to keep it on the level.

Celebrim

Legend
No, it is not my job. I do this for fun. If it were my job, I'd expect to get paid for it.

I _AM_ a DM. _HE_ is a DM. We're all DM's here.

To the extent that I have a reason for doing this (other than it is fun), I do it because I am a DM and a game player. I'm not a technical writer (though I have experience doing that).

Sure, I can look at the conversion guidelines and see that they forbid making public essentially everything a DM does with the module. Sure, I can understand why they are being so heavy handed.

What I can't understand is why anyone who loves RPG's would celebrate that, nor can I understand why anyone but a WotC lawyer would take on the role of 'crusader for banality in public conversions of modules'. So, they tied my hands. They made it so that I can't make available to my fellow DM's a conversion of a module even if I avoid quoting anything that isn't open gaming content. I don't want to give them the module. I don't want to copy the text. I want to give them a tool for some 'Saturday-night-special-20-minutes-of-preparation- and-we-are-rolling-for-initiative-session.' I want to help some 14 year old DM play a classic module I enjoyed in my youth, and play it well. What I don't understand is why a fellow DM would jump up and down and go, 'Yippee Skippee! WotC made it so that none of you freaks can share your ideas!' Isn't this a grand thing!'

No, it is not a grand thing. It sucks. It would be one thing to provide a standard that encouraged well written thoughtful conversions, because there were alot around that sucked. But this doesn't encourage good writting. It discourages it.

And finally, I vehemenently deny that there is a qualitative difference between what I'm suggesting and what you are suggesting. The difference is only in quantity not in kind. You are yourself advocating rewritting the module (indeed I think it is impossible to 'convert' a module and not rework it). The only difference is you are advocating a messy uniform minimalist approach where you arbitrarily decide what is fine to change and what isn't, and I'm advocating coherent playable text even if it means changing some things that don't strictly speaking have to be changed, or avoiding the most literal (and banal) transformation in favor of one that is more flavorful. Yes, maybe my way requires better judgement on the part of the DM/converter, but neither way requires NO judgement and no editting on the part of the DM.

I'm with Celebrim

The only reason that I would do a "straight" conversion is so I could submit the conversion to a publicly downloadable site like ENWORLD. I would not bother otherwise. Otherwise, I would just do the conversion for my own campaign, and be done with it.

Hardhead

Explorer
As someone that has downloaded conversions before, I completly agree with Celebrim. I've downloaded a lot of piece of $%&! conversions before that were just stat block cut-and-pastes. Why would I possibly need a conversion like that? I mean, I own the MM already. The whole point of a conversion is to make a module run well under third edition rules.

And just copying stat blocks without regard for game balance doesn't make a module run well. It makes it run like crap, be completly imbalanced, and overall suck hard core. Why would you even need a conversion like that? Like I said, I already own the DMG, the PHB, and the MM. It's not like I couldn't do that kind of conversion on the fly as I played through the module.

If I download a conversion, I want a document that can let me play the module without my having to completly rebalance it. I mean, I've always thought that was the whole point of a conversion. The rebalancing is the hard part, not the stat block cut-and-pasting, and the reason I download this kind of thing is to make my DMing easier.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
rangerjohn said:
I agree with the majority of posters on this one. WOTC has essentially made conversions useless.

sigh...not to repeat old arguements but they have not..they made it so much easier for people to post their conversions than before. So it takes you a bit of time to tweak the module, so what? It's not like the amount of time that it takes to build the dang thing (which is longer BTW! trust me). Tweaking it takes some time yes i will agree, but any DM with a bit of time can see that maybe this EL 22 and this EL 8 don't belong together near each other but YMMV...

don't knock WOTC for what they are doing here, most companies wouldn't allow this type of stuff to appear anywhere on the 'net as it is..

rangerjohn

Explorer
Well you have me confused, I'm smart enough to know how the CR systems works and balance it. But I can't look up an orc in the MM?

Last edited:

Remove ads