• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 2E Converting 2E multiclass charcters. Help please, example included.

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
I am converting a large 2E module, and it is going pretty well except for the multiclass characters. i am having trouble converting them so that they are not overpowered or underpowered. Here is an example of what I am dealing with:

Kuo-Toa 14th level thief/12th level cleric.

How would the above character work out in 3E terms and still have roughly the same abilities as he did in 2E.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Dirge

For multiclass character conversion, add up the level of their highest level 2e class (14) and 1/3 of the levels for all their other classes, rounded down, to a minimum of 1.

So for your kuo-toa, you have a total level of 14 + (12/3)
14 + 4

Your 18th-level kuo-toa now has some choices to make.

IMO, a rogue is twice as powerful in 3e as in 2e (at least when it comes to sneak attacking). Plus, you can buy rogue skills for clerics as cross class skills, although the kuotoa will need a high intelligence score to do it well.

You'll also want your kuo-toa to cast 6th-level spells (minimum 11th-level). So a Rog7/Clr11 seems about right. You'll get a sneak attack bonus of +14, cast 6th-level spells, and can have a max rank of 15 with rogue skills. And kuo-toa are pretty intelligent, so you can do that with a lot of rogue skills. Feel free to toss in prestige classes as you see fit.

Note that 2e multiclass characters rarely remain as powerful as in 3e. Imagine converting a wizard/cleric. Yikes.

14th level thief/12th level cleric.

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
For multiclass character conversion, add up the level of their highest level 2e class (14) and 1/3 of the levels for all their other classes, rounded down, to a minimum of 1.

So for your kuo-toa, you have a total level of 14 + (12/3)
14 + 4

Your 18th-level kuo-toa now has some choices to make.

IMO, a rogue is twice as powerful in 3e as in 2e (at least when it comes to sneak attacking). Plus, you can buy rogue skills for clerics as cross class skills, although the kuotoa will need a high intelligence score to do it well.

You'll also want your kuo-toa to cast 6th-level spells (minimum 11th-level). So a Rog7/Clr11 seems about right. You'll get a sneak attack bonus of +14, cast 6th-level spells, and can have a max rank of 15 with rogue skills. And kuo-toa are pretty intelligent, so you can do that with a lot of rogue skills. Feel free to toss in prestige classes as you see fit.

Note that 2e multiclass characters rarely remain as powerful as in 3e. Imagine converting a wizard/cleric. Yikes.

14th level thief/12th level cleric.

That sounds like excellent advice. Thank you for the response.

Aeryn

Victim

First Post
IIRC, that conversion doesn't always work properly. When I get back to my room I'll double check.

If my memories are correct, if you took a 2e multiclass character with total experience X, and a single class character with the same XP, then the multiclass character will be higher level than the single class one in many cases, despite previously having the same XP.

Granted, it's not as much of a problem for NPCs.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Cleric 12 = 900k
Thief 14 = 880k

Therefore, we can assume that he has about 1.8 Mxp. A pure thief would be level 18 and the pure cleric would be 16. I'd convert the character to level 16, because 2e thieves sucked.

Last edited:

Remove ads