• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Conflict with Blackrazor

tglassy

Adventurer
Ok. For a little while, my DND group has gotten rather obsessed with the Deck of Many Things. It's shown up in just about every campaign for the last year. And it's always disruptive. Always. So much so that I have decided it will no longer feature in any of my campaigns. We've had our fun. That's over now.

Most recently, my Earth Genasi Genie Warlock pulled the card that swapped his alignment and the card that grants a free Rare or Rarer Magic Weapon. So, being the intelligent idiot I am, I requested Blackrazor.

So here's my thoughts. My character was the child of a Dao Genie, and that Genie is his Patron. I decided that, as part Dao, my character has intense inborn greed, so much so that he literally feels pain when he gives away anything worth more than 1 gold. That includes gold pieces. He'll only spend Silver. His father is helping him learn how to deal with that, particularly in the realm of business. So he gave him a Ledger (the Tome), and is teaching him about investing. It's ok to give up something if you're going to get more later.

So he's very, very Lawful Neutral, even though he's filled with Greed. He only takes what is agreed on to be his. He keeps careful track of what is his and what isn't. He puts it in his ring and no one sees it again. 10% of what goes into the Ring goes to the patron. That's the deal.

But pulling that d*** card, he's now Chaotic Neutral. I had a hard time figuring out what that meant, but essentially it means he doesn't follow the rules. He goes by his gut. I don't want him to just start stealing things, that would be too disruptive. Instead, he just has no interest in learning how to invest, or studying his Ledger. He will break laws and do whatever he needs to to amass wealth. He doesn't care about the future, so much as the RIGHT NOW.

We leveled up to Lvl 4 at the same time, so I took the opportunity to switch out the Tome for the Chain, because his familiar (which was just a normal Bat he got from having the Tome), was becoming an important part of the game. Now Batty McBatface is all kinds of supped up. I'm thinking an Imp, reskinned to be a Bat-Man.

Thing is, his Patron won't like that. At all. So the Patron's not going to train him past lvl 5. So either Din needs to multiclass...or he needs a new Patron.

Que Blackrazor. As I said, I'd pulled the card that grants a Rare or Rarer Magic Weapon. I went to the DM and said "Can I have Blackrazor, and make it my new patron? That means I'd switch to being a Hexblade." He said Ok.

Now, I know I can't use it as a Hexblade Weapon unless I make it my Pact Weapon, and since I'm Pact of the Chain that aint happening. My first thought was to take the Pact of the Blade, but in all honesty, it just didn't appeal to me. The invocations are subpar. I don't need Improved Pact Weapon, Booming Blade means I don't need Thirsting Blade, and i have other uses for spell slots than Smites. And none of the basic Invocations really appeal to me. What appeals to me is Investment of the Chain Master and Gift of the Ever Living Ones. A supped up Familiar who can attack, and max healing.

So it's not a Hexblade Weapon. I can't use Charisma to attack with it. Which is a bummer. But since it's a +3 weapon, and my strength is a 14, that basically just puts it on par with any Hexblade weapon I'd have. So in this case, I only have a +7 to hit, which his reasonable for a magic weapon at lvl 4, instead of a +9 to hit at lvl 4.

Side note: If this turns out to just be too powerful, then what we're going to do is have me carry Blackrazor on my back, while using another weapon, such as a Longsword. I'll make the Longsword my Hexblade Weapon, to use Charisma. Essentially, Blackrazor will deem me to weak to be able to properly wield him, so I'll need to use a go between. Anything that I kill with the Hexblade Weapon will have its soul consumed by Blackrazor, but I won't get the bonuses. At some point in the future, supposedly I'd grow out of that and be able to use the Blade again. I have no qualms with this if this is the way we wind up going.

All that aside, my main question is this: According to the book, if you don't feed the blade a soul once every three days, you will "Come into conflict at sunset on the third day". But what does that mean? There's nothing in there about what such a Conflict would entail, or what happens if you lose. Any thoughts?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Ok. For a little while, my DND group has gotten rather obsessed with the Deck of Many Things. It's shown up in just about every campaign for the last year. And it's always disruptive. Always. So much so that I have decided it will no longer feature in any of my campaigns. We've had our fun. That's over now.

Most recently, my Earth Genasi Genie Warlock pulled the card that swapped his alignment and the card that grants a free Rare or Rarer Magic Weapon. So, being the intelligent idiot I am, I requested Blackrazor.

So here's my thoughts. My character was the child of a Dao Genie, and that Genie is his Patron. I decided that, as part Dao, my character has intense inborn greed, so much so that he literally feels pain when he gives away anything worth more than 1 gold. That includes gold pieces. He'll only spend Silver. His father is helping him learn how to deal with that, particularly in the realm of business. So he gave him a Ledger (the Tome), and is teaching him about investing. It's ok to give up something if you're going to get more later.

So he's very, very Lawful Neutral, even though he's filled with Greed. He only takes what is agreed on to be his. He keeps careful track of what is his and what isn't. He puts it in his ring and no one sees it again. 10% of what goes into the Ring goes to the patron. That's the deal.

But pulling that d*** card, he's now Chaotic Neutral. I had a hard time figuring out what that meant, but essentially it means he doesn't follow the rules. He goes by his gut. I don't want him to just start stealing things, that would be too disruptive. Instead, he just has no interest in learning how to invest, or studying his Ledger. He will break laws and do whatever he needs to to amass wealth. He doesn't care about the future, so much as the RIGHT NOW.

We leveled up to Lvl 4 at the same time, so I took the opportunity to switch out the Tome for the Chain, because his familiar (which was just a normal Bat he got from having the Tome), was becoming an important part of the game. Now Batty McBatface is all kinds of supped up. I'm thinking an Imp, reskinned to be a Bat-Man.

Thing is, his Patron won't like that. At all. So the Patron's not going to train him past lvl 5. So either Din needs to multiclass...or he needs a new Patron.

Que Blackrazor. As I said, I'd pulled the card that grants a Rare or Rarer Magic Weapon. I went to the DM and said "Can I have Blackrazor, and make it my new patron? That means I'd switch to being a Hexblade." He said Ok.

Now, I know I can't use it as a Hexblade Weapon unless I make it my Pact Weapon, and since I'm Pact of the Chain that aint happening. My first thought was to take the Pact of the Blade, but in all honesty, it just didn't appeal to me. The invocations are subpar. I don't need Improved Pact Weapon, Booming Blade means I don't need Thirsting Blade, and i have other uses for spell slots than Smites. And none of the basic Invocations really appeal to me. What appeals to me is Investment of the Chain Master and Gift of the Ever Living Ones. A supped up Familiar who can attack, and max healing.

So it's not a Hexblade Weapon. I can't use Charisma to attack with it. Which is a bummer. But since it's a +3 weapon, and my strength is a 14, that basically just puts it on par with any Hexblade weapon I'd have. So in this case, I only have a +7 to hit, which his reasonable for a magic weapon at lvl 4, instead of a +9 to hit at lvl 4.

Side note: If this turns out to just be too powerful, then what we're going to do is have me carry Blackrazor on my back, while using another weapon, such as a Longsword. I'll make the Longsword my Hexblade Weapon, to use Charisma. Essentially, Blackrazor will deem me to weak to be able to properly wield him, so I'll need to use a go between. Anything that I kill with the Hexblade Weapon will have its soul consumed by Blackrazor, but I won't get the bonuses. At some point in the future, supposedly I'd grow out of that and be able to use the Blade again. I have no qualms with this if this is the way we wind up going.

All that aside, my main question is this: According to the book, if you don't feed the blade a soul once every three days, you will "Come into conflict at sunset on the third day". But what does that mean? There's nothing in there about what such a Conflict would entail, or what happens if you lose. Any thoughts?
"CONFLICT
A sentient item has a will of its own, shaped by its personality and alignment. If its wielder acts in a manner opposed to the item's alignment or purpose, conflict can arise. When such a conflict occurs, the item makes a Charisma check contested by the wielder's Charisma check. If the item wins the contest, it makes one or more of the following demands:
• The item insists on being carried or worn at all times.
• The item demands that its wielder dispose of anything the item finds repugnant.
• The item demands that its wielder pursue the item's goals to the exclusion of all other goals.
• The item demands to be given to someone else.

If its wielder refuses to comply with the item's wishes, the item can do any or all of the following:
Make it impossible for its wielder to attune to it.
Suppress one or more of its activated properties.
Attempt to take control of its wielder.

If a sentient item attempts to take control of its wielder, the wielder must make a Charisma saving throw, with a DC equal to 12 + the item's Charisma modifier. On a failed save, the wielder is charmed by the item for 1d12 hours. While charmed, the wielder must try to follow the item's commands. If the wielder takes damage, it can repeat the saving throw, ending the effect on a success. Whether the attempt to control its user succeeds or fails, the item can't use this power again until the next dawn."

Blackrazor would probably try to control you and force you to feed it. Then it might withhold part/all of its abilities for a while as a lesson. It's not a nice weapon.

ECMO3

Hero
Blackrazor will not be down with this. Either feed blackrazor or [try] to throw it in the sea, I think those are your options.

It really does not matter if it is a pact weapon, with a +3 bonus it is going to be better than a normal mundane weapon even if it did not have the devour soul abilities.

Even with an 8 strength it would still be better than non-magic finesse weapon. With your 14 strength there is no non-magical weapon you can get that will outdo blackrazor (and few magical weapons).

I get what you are saying about the DOMT, but you chose to draw a card right?

The DOMT is all about chaos and chance. It will severely unbalance the game and the PCs. That is its nature, if you don't like that you should not have it in your game. I find it particularly grating when people use point buy instead of rolling abilities for "PC balance" but then go and have something like this in the game.

It is much freindlier in a computer game where if you don't like your draw you go back to your last save and draw again.

tglassy

Adventurer
It’s our game, so Blackrazor will be down for whatever we say he’s down for.

“The DOMT is all about chaos and chance. It will severely unbalance the game and the PCs. That is its nature, if you don't like that you should not have it in your game.”

I believe I just said that I don’t like that, and will not be having it in my games…

Remove ads