• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Release [Chaosium] Create. Explore. Play. BRP’s Universal Game Engine is available royalty-free for personal and commercial use under the ORC license.

Michael O'Brien

Hero
Publisher

Create. Explore. Play.​

BRP Front cover
BRP’s Universal Game Engine is available royalty-free for personal and commercial use under the Open RPG Creative license, aka ORC license.

Basic Roleplaying (BRP) is a system of core rules for tabletop roleplaying. Whether you’re a seasoned roleplaying veteran or new to the hobby, Basic Roleplaying has everything you need for years of entertainment.

Basic Roleplaying: Universal Game Engine - PDF *

Basic Roleplaying: Universal Game Engine is the complete guide to BRP—the same system that powers Call of Cthulhu, RuneQuest, Pendragon, Rivers of London, and countless others.

BRP image
With mechanics for magic, psychic powers, mutations, superpowers, weapons, equipment, and vehicles applicable to any setting and genre, Basic Roleplaying: Universal Game Engine is adaptable to any world of your choosing—either previously established, or created from scratch.

BRP is adaptable to any world of your choosing—either previously established, or created from scratch. Use these rules royalty-free to create your worlds, scenarios and even books to sell!

BRP logo
*Buy now and get a coupon for the printed version later!

So you want to purchase the physical version, but really want to get your hands on so you don't have to wait. We have you covered! If you purchase a PDF we will send you a discount coupon just before the physical book goes on sale to offset the PDF purchase price you have already paid.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
I find this completely misleading! :eek:
BRP’s Universal Game Engine is available royalty-free for personal and commercial use under the Open RPG Creative license, aka ORC license.
It links to:
Note: The final ORC license has not been released yet.
If it's not ready yet, don't release it as if it were!

darjr

I crit!
Draft of the ORC just went up.

I love the art!

darjr

I crit!
Then they shouldn't try to grab the attention and release their news early. Also that license is only in a draft state.
This sounds overly critical. They aren’t trying to do anything if the kind.

I think anyone who knows what the orc is knows the state of things, and it only matters to folks publishing down the road.

Just wait and see if it bothers you so much. Their not trying to scam you!

Michael O'Brien

Hero
Publisher
I think anyone who knows what the orc is knows the state of things, and it only matters to folks publishing down the road.

Yes, the final ORC license has not been released yet, but a draft is available. The final version will govern the BRP Universal Game Engine, as an example of an open RPG license that anyone can use.

Suggestion - would it also be possible to have text in addition to the logo as means to credit? I know it would help with accessibility, at least.

TreChriron

Adventurer
Supporter
This book is gorgeous! Fantastic layout, great art, concise text. It's impressive. This is a vast improvement over the BGB layout, text choices, and readability. Full Color! This is going to create excitement for new players.

Michael O'Brien

Hero
Publisher
This book is gorgeous! Fantastic layout, great art, concise text. It's impressive. This is a vast improvement over the BGB layout, text choices, and readability. Full Color! This is going to create excitement for new players.

In addition to the new full color layout and art, and inclusion of the ORC license, over at BRP Central BRP creative director and principal author Jason Durall briefly outlines the changes and updates to the text of the new edition:

Michael O'Brien

Hero
Publisher
339590076-766276144810047-9077353321489859341-n.jpeg

Salt and Serpent has set sail with Chaosium's Basic Roleplaying Universal Game Engine.

Salt & Serpent is a swashbuckling tale of rainbow romance and revenge. In the first episode, "Widow's Watch", the crew of Fortune's Fair race against an impending storm, and seek the answer to the age old question: can you kiss a ghost?

With the Pixel Circus crew Saige Ryan, Kailey Bray, Surena Marie, Rowan Hall, and Aabria Iyengar.

Salt & Serpent premieres on Twitch, Sundays at 6pm PT and on Youtube, Wednesdays at 10am PT.

Watch episode one here:

The following code can be used for 10% off store-wide on Chaosium.com, once per customer:

SALTSERPENT

Remove ads