• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Cave fisher. VgtM

I have a question about the filament. Maybe someone can help me.
Is the attachment automatic? Or how exactly does the attachment work. I can't really make sense of it.

I miss a dexterity safe for the filament extension and a perception DC to stumble upon it in the dark...

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
There's no save for attachment.

The way I interpret it, the intent is that the filament basically dangles into a room (maybe on the other side of a doorway) and just sits there. When a character enters the filament's space, they're automatically caught, but they can avoid the filament by avoiding that space.

This may be influenced by a combination of the creature's lore and the barnacle from half-life, I suppose.

If the filament comes out as an action, I'd just plunk it down in a 60-foot line, and anything in that line is caught.

Yeah. Maybe that is the intend... but I guess a dex safe to avoid and a DC to detect wouöd be fairer to the players. Even if it is DC 20 or so.

That is my beef with MM campiflage abilities. In VgtM there is now an investigation DC to dicern that something is wrong. So I guess it rins me off a bit because the auto succes seems out of place in the better designed VgtM.

There is still a save to break out of it and avoid being pulled to the Cave Fisher. If it gave 2 saves there a good chance it would never be able to do it's gimmick.

Remove ads