• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Casual D&D III) The Man in Black

Festy_Dog

First Post
Nurthk leaves Gilter's shop laden with new equipment, and just in time to see people clearing an area around Aerda.

Hmm, what's the elf up to?.... Oh, a spellcaster.

Nurthk stands in mute fascination for a moment while Aerda summons his steed. He adjusts his broad-brimmed hat upon sighting the beast.

wings said:
"Who pays for horses?"

"Hmph, the rest of us," he replies, plodding off towards the stables.

Elves and their damn magic... had my fill of it long ago.

dpdx

Explorer
Fendric, after a brief argument with Hiritus, enters the door of the shop just in time to hear the end of Raven's opening 'bid.'

Raven said:
"...got ripped-off bigtime, will you give me, say, an additional discount of 20% just to save you and me the trouble?"

"Pity I haven't the need for anything else of weaponry or armor, for that discount, were it given, might entice me into a purchase. But I cannot - wait - Gilter, do you have anything of... textile?

Much as I cherish the mantle that adorns my chain shirt, it is not enough. I wish not to look so shiny and prominent 'neath the Radiant Light, for I do not deserve it, and I do not wish to give us away, visually, leagues before the battle is joined.

Green, brown or tan would do nicely, I think, but it must cover the entirety, like a shirt, perhaps of Nurthk's size would suffice. Then may I wear the mantle upon it, without shining like a freshly polished silver.
"

Completely oblivious to the fact that he got taken for a sucker, whether by error of timing, or lack of experience with such matters, Fendric looks expectantly at the smith for an answer.

DrZombie

First Post
"See, another purchase because of your price reduction. Don't worry, Fendric, I'm sure we can get a very good price, as a repayment for the generous price we asked for the armor and weapons we sold. Won't we, master smith?"

Aaargl, just look at him. Telling him he's been ripped off would be like kicking a puppy. Well, money doesn't matter anyway.

Guilt Puppy

First Post
"Generous price, eh? Well, then, if you really believe that, I'm sure you'll find my regular prices generous enough without any reduction." He extends a hand to take back the bow you've been examining. "Or perhaps you'd simply rather buy your gear elsewhere? I'm sure you can find a vendor sitting under a canopy somewhere who would give you a very low price on a bow of nowhere near this quality."

Hiritus watches silently as the price for his bow rises back to an even hundred.

Meanwhile, outside, Shavah saddles up her newly-purchased horse -- it doesn't look like it's going to be happy carrying around her and her new armor, she it's all she can afford.

"Nice trick," she says to Aerda, apparently more impressed than she'd like to let on. "But be careful not to spook the locals... Anyway, should we head back?"

Sparky

Oliver wanders the stables looking at the various pens and stalls. A dun catches his eye, a gelding, but with fire in his eyes and a fine, tall profile. The horse whickers at Olivers approach, mouthing the old man's outstretched hand for treats that aren't forth-coming.

"This one. Does he have a brother or a sister?" He turns an approving eye on the creature. "If so, I'll take that one too. If you'd be so kind as to prepare him I'll return with your pay."

Oliver pats the horse again. It tosses his head. "I wonder what Bastrop will think of you...?"

He hobbles out of the stable and after the others. His bushy brows climb at Aerda's feat of magic and agrees with Shavah, "Yes, a good trick indeed."

OOC: Oliver has enough to buy two light warhorses, but will happily fund the other's horse purchases. He's a sucker for animals. He'd even rub them down at night without asking, though you can be sure you'd hear about it... :)

Last edited:

wings

First Post
Magic

Aerda nods at Shavah and Oliver's amazement, then in reply to the woman, he says, "Yes, well, it's among the least of the hidden 'tricks' a wizard can command- it's good to keep them wary of magic; warn them to treat it with caution, as a bladesman will treat a keen sword." He shrugs, and waits as the others purchase their mounts. He obviously didn't like magic being called a trick, but reasoned that any arguement he could make in the art's defense would but confuse the unlearned human minds.

He wraps the map back up in the leather sheet he had bound it to, "I suggest we head South to the Groves just after we finish with Aesop. I'm sure that was the plan already, as it is the most logical choice." His voice changed slightly as he mentioned the groves, as he seemed to mask the familiarity with which the word was conjured.

He quickly said, "I know where to find him, if you would like me to lead the way?"

dpdx

Explorer
Hearing Gilter's rebuke, Fendric's look of expectation turns to solemnity as he scans the room. Finding nothing matching the description he gave, Fendric then leaves the store, wordlessly, into the general area within the market 'district'.

Noticing a covered stall with several shirts and robes hanging from bars, Fendric walks up to the stores, selects a large but lightweight, light brown shirt, and pays the older human woman behind the table the standard one gold for a 'traveler's outfit'.

Putting it on over the armor, Fendric takes a moment to adjust the sleeves, tie the waist, and tuck his holy symbol underneath. Walking back to outside Gilter's, he unties his horse (a tan and brown mottled gelding, of average height and muscular build) and walks it back over to the stables, where he finds the others in the crowd who have gathered outside to watch Aerda.

"Oh, good! Every one will have horses, and Niccolo has his riding dog!"

Festy_Dog

First Post
Nurthk eventually gets back, leading along a pale grey horse. There's a glint in the beast's eye that suggests it was bred for war, but the big half-orc appears to be able to handle his new steed quite easily.

"How has everyone's shopping fared?" he asks as he prepares his horse's saddle.

DrZombie

First Post
Guilt Puppy said:
"Generous price, eh? Well, then, if you really believe that, I'm sure you'll find my regular prices generous enough without any reduction." He extends a hand to take back the bow you've been examining. "Or perhaps you'd simply rather buy your gear elsewhere? I'm sure you can find a vendor sitting under a canopy somewhere who would give you a very low price on a bow of nowhere near this quality."

Hiritus watches silently as the price for his bow rises back to an even hundred.
"Whoops, your price rises and there goes another fine customer. Bye Fendric, I think I'll join you in a few minutes. I don't like being robbed in broad daylight. Now look, good man, let me show you a good bow" Raven says as he puts his bow on the counter."THIS is a good bow. I know a good bow when I see one. Now THAT is a bow for Hiritus here to practice with. You know, and I know, that that bow isn't worth a hundred gold pieces. Let's not insult each other and try to get a fair price here. I don't wanna tell my fellow rangers to avoid this shop like the plague, now do I? Either we make a deal, or I'll just hapilly walk out and get me another bow at another place. Last chance."

If the blacksmith won't lower his prices, Raven will walk out, taking Hiritus with him, and try to buy a light warhorse.

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Gilter is unmoved.

"Well then, I suggest you happily walk out. Tell your 'fellow rangers' to avoid this place -- if they're half as ungrateful and bull-headed as you, I'd rather avoid their business."

Upon leaving, Hiritus takes back the coinage he left with you. "A better horse to be had with it, I suppose."

He seems unhappy, but purchasing the horse cheers him up a bit. He gets a white-mottled-brown thing, young but strong, and sets out immediately -- and as yet unresolved -- search for a name.

Remove ads