• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Bob the World Builder Interviews Kyle Brink

Pedantic

Legend
I guess the fact that I have never used a VTT is showing! My concern would be if I purchased the "mini" don't I also get the stats for it? How does it function without the stats? And why would I have the stats without the mini?
Think about purchasing a physical mini. When you buy a goblin sculpt off a shelf at your local game store, you don't usually get any stats with it, and you aren't handed a set of goblin minis when you buy your Monster Manual.

The process of using an art asset on a virtual tabletop is pretty analogous. You have a picture of a goblin (or a 3d model of one) that you bought in an asset store, and you have the stats for a goblin you bought with your digital Monster Manual purchase, and then you're just telling the system "when I click on this goblin mini, bring up the goblin stats." You could also put an orc mini in and tell it to call the goblin stats as well.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I guess the fact that I have never used a VTT is showing! My concern would be if I purchased the "mini" don't I also get the stats for it? How does it function without the stats? And why would I have the stats without the mini?
We don’t know how this one will work yet, but even if the goblin mini does come with goblin stats, you will be able to use that goblin mini for anything you want, not just that statblock.
How do you know that they are? Prefacing every post with "assuming these bastards aren't flat-out lying" seems a little extreme.
Exactly. Not to mention being a waste of time.

But this is largely a costs that DMs bear (monster minis). I wonder how they are going to monetize the players who use the VTT.

Yes, through the purchase of PC virtual PC minis...but that's a one time purchase (buy the base mini, dress it it in armor (for additional fees), and then you're done.

It's my understanding that they want recurring transactions from the players. And for most players, one set of armor will likely be enough.

And as a side note, I'm surprised that anyone is willing to take Hasbro/WoTC management at their word.
I've played 4 PCs in 5e, so that's 4 minis beyond the $30 I spent on the DDB PHB. Maybe I buy a 2nd mini for a character as they level and multiclass into a different class or find some cool armor. It's not big money, but it's more than the zero they're currently getting from players post-book purchase. Throw in a set of dice and maybe some character sheet cosmetics like they currently offer and it starts to add up. It'll never be more than a DM spends though, those will always be their whale spenders.

Why am I taking him at his word? For one thing he didn't literally promise anything. He simply said what their plans are right now and plans change, so what they land on might be different depending on a lot of factors Kyle doesn't control. Beyond that, I'll believe him when he says that's their plans because he's a human being that (to me) hasn't demonstrated himself to me to be so dishonest that a reasonable thing he said can't be believed until I have direct evidence what he said isn't true.

mamba

Legend
It's rarely breaking the law. Most companies don't have employees sign NDAs.
I believe you are misunderstanding what I meant. Whistleblowers that leak about the company they work for are protected, but if you leak confidential internal information after having signed a contract that says not to, you are not protected.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I understand that.

I do not believe most employees in the United States are working under any such contract (of which, the NDA is just one flavor).
NDAs are very common in publishing (and I assume other creative industries like video games, TV, and movies). Even we tiny companies use them. WotC almost certainly does. It's standard boilerplate stuff that employees and contractors will sign just as part of their employment/contractor contract.

Remove ads