• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blur, Concealment and Sneak Attacks

During my game on Saturday I ruled that an archer could not use sneak attack or other precision-based damage on a Blurred foe. After all, if there's a chance they would miss the target entirely they can't be too precise. The Deepwood sniper was allowed to use his sneak attack/precision bonuses since hiss "ignore concealment" was greater than the blur penalty.

While I don't feel like it was a snap ruling it seemed like this would have been covered somewhere. After the game I hunted through the rules and didn't find anything that specifically addressed the issue. Does anyone know of an official ruling?

MerakSpielman

First Post
I'm pretty certain that if a creature has concealment it can't be sneak attacked. That's why Darkness isn't really a good spell to have going for rogues, even though it gives them concealment too.

Paragon

Wielder of the Power Cosmic
any concealment negates the ability to sneak attack. it mentions it in the players but it is discussed in length on the wizards site under the rules of the game section. goes into depth about it. so you made the right call.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
PHB, p.50, Sneak Attack description, 4th paragraph:

The rogue must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A rogue cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment ...

Remove ads