• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Bigby Doesn't Call His Homeworld Oerth :)

Zardnaar

Legend
Oh man, I love Auckland (not the cost of living so much), been here since 2004 after moving from Thames, not sure I'd want to go back for anything more than a visit.

Otago born and bred. Glacier meltwater, mountains, lakes etc. I didn't mind visiting Auckland but eh.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Oh man, I love Auckland (not the cost of living so much), been here since 2004 after moving from Thames, not sure I'd want to go back for anything more than a visit.
Auckland is New Zealands only real city, its an awesome place to visit but wouldnt want to live there.

Having been in Dunedin in December after all the students have left I really got to see just impactful the University is on the town - its pretty empty once the scarfies go home

Zardnaar

Legend
Auckland is New Zealands only real city, its an awesome place to visit but wouldnt want to live there.

Having been in Dunedin in December after all the students have left I really got to see just impactful the University is on the town - its pretty empty once the scarfies go home

Best time of the year;)

That's fair in the US - my wife is from South Bend, and unless people know Notre Dame etc. (which a surprisingly large number of British people do) we usually just have go with "near Chicago" unless we want to go into some sort of elaborate explanation of where it is.

Whereas in the UK, if you called somewhere 75+ miles (or even 40 miles) from London "near London" or "London", people would look at you like you were completely insane.

There was a great example of this cultural divide when UK Queer as Folk (set in Manchester) first went on US TV, and Manchester was described as "town just north of London" by a US TV guide. Manchester is a city of half a million and is "halfway up the country" - i.e. about 200 miles away by road.
My partner is adamant that we live "in Surrey" although we are only 14 miles south of central London. As I'm a Scouse immigrant I don't care so much.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem

Haha, yeah, Dunedin is totally a uni city, gets quiet once the students are gone. Apparently, having heard from a work colleague who worked there, people in Dunedin are glad once the students are gone, but Dunedin wouldn't even be a footnote in a book about NZ without them.

I would say that Wellington at least is also worthy of the city title, but yeah, Auckland is around a 5th of our population I think, pretty significant.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Otago born and bred. Glacier meltwatwr, mountains, lakes etc. I didn't mind visiting Auckland but eh.
That's fair, I know plenty if people who feel the same way. I think I originally fell in love with the fact that I could go out to a Cafe and grab a coffee any day of the week, even if past 3pm. Thames has changed where that is probably now possible, but for a while, it was pretty bad.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
That's fair, I know plenty if people who feel the same way. I think I originally fell in love with the fact that I could go out to a Cafe and grab a coffee any day of the week, even if past 3pm. Thames has changed where that is probably now possible, but for a while, it was pretty bad.

I dropped off a cousin at Taupo Airport yesterday, called into the brand new Landing ‘entertainment precinct’ to discover that its cafe, dessert bar and gastropub were all closed - it was only 4pm. Though admittedly a Tuesday, Taupo is supposed to be a tourist town.

pukunui

Legend
@Tonguez I had no idea you lived in NZ too!

I’ve now lived in Auckland for almost half my life. (Arrived here in 2003 this month, so been exactly 20 years now.)

In other news, my hard copy of Bigby’s arrived today (I did the physical + digital bundle). It’s so much prettier than the DDB version, and the AI art is much less noticeable in book form (since you can’t zoom in, and some of the pieces are partially obscured by statblocks and such as well).

Zardnaar

Legend
Haha, yeah, Dunedin is totally a uni city, gets quiet once the students are gone. Apparently, having heard from a work colleague who worked there, people in Dunedin are glad once the students are gone, but Dunedin wouldn't even be a footnote in a book about NZ without them.

I would say that Wellington at least is also worthy of the city title, but yeah, Auckland is around a 5th of our population I think, pretty significant.

Dunedin has common sense. It's not built on an active volcano field.

Can't see anything going wrong there. Not at all.

Remove ads