• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Best outdoor adventures?

Sacrosanct

Legend
What are some of the best outdoor adventures published for D&D? Focus on wilderness exploration rather than the dungeon crawl.

Isle of Dread?
Forest Oracle (I jest)

Man, this makes me want to write up the archipelago hexcrawl I ran to playtest Pathfinder 2e. The group didn't really like the rule set, but they had fun assembling the resources they need to go Ahab on the aboleth sorcerer who controlled storms to trap people on the islands.

What do people like about wilderness exploration, when you've played?

Sacrosanct

Legend
Man, it's kind of sad that 50 years of history and there's only one good wilderness adventure published. I suppose ToA might count.

R_J_K75

Legend
Man, it's kind of sad that 50 years of history and there's only one good wilderness adventure published. I suppose ToA might count.
Come to think of it, I can't think of a single strictly outdoor/wilderness adventure that I've played or ran.
What do people like about wilderness exploration, when you've played?
From my experiences both as a DM and player too much of one thing in an adventure isnt a good thing. A session maybe two of strictly wilderness/outdoor exploration and adventuring gets old quickly. I find that variety makes for a better game.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Bummer post based on actual play in the past 18 months:

I'm going to disagree with Isle of Dread. The island is huge and any given hex is likely to be empty of points of interest, meaning player characters spend a lot of time wandering around, trying to find the good stuff. And that good stuff is great, but it deserves to be on an island half the size, or even smaller. Goodman Games added a few really good new areas to their OAR version, but not enough to significantly increase the density of good stuff to "nope, try again."

Most good third party wilderness adventures have a much higher density of good stuff, and many hexcrawl settings promise at least one awesome thing per six-mile hex.

Isle of Dread's failings are mostly due to it being the first adventure of its kind, but I don't think we should let nostalgia blind us to its flaws.

Last edited:

I had an early 4e campaign where I drew two rivers and a mountain range, then tapped random dots all over the map, then went to https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?action=random for each of those dots, to get inspiration for what was where.

But the point of the game was 'you're settling this land and want to find resources,' so the party wanted to explore. Some spots were dangerous, some were treasure, some were potential allies.

But the focus was on the destinations, not really the 'can you survive in the wilds' side of things.

aco175

Legend
I did like the Isle of the Abbey adventure from Dragon Magazine and reprinted in the Saltmarsh book. It did have a bigger dungeon in it so not sure if this is what you meant.

Remove ads