• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Aspurgers/autism effects?

abe ray

Explorer
Idea:a autist wizard that likes making magic items! Along this line, what sort of magic items w/could a autistic/ aspurgers syndrome sufferers make/use?

BlivetWidget

Explorer
It's hard/impossible to give one answer to the question since we're all different. For a character "like me" I feel it's enough to pump INT and dump CHA (Wizard is therefore a natural fit). Everything else will come out through character flavor and actions. Do what interests you, have your character do what interests you. I don't think it requires anything more than that.

noko

old hag of a DM
Idea:a autist wizard that likes making magic items! Along this line, what sort of magic items w/could a autistic/ aspurgers syndrome sufferers make/use?
I've got two players in the spectrum. One with aspurgers and one ADD. Neither of them are interested in portraying themselves in game. My aspurger player is rather into min maxing in minute detail and my ADD player creates very quirky characters. For your wizard, why not look to yourself? You do seem to be an inquiring sort so why not an investigative wizard? Someone who specializes in getting questions answered and skew most of your spells in that direction?

Unwise

Adventurer
I would keep it as a voluntary RP thing, something designed for that individual PC, not a sweeping set of rules for all people on the spectrum. The PC would likely roll Insight with disadvantage, having real problems detecting sarcasm and subtle social signs. Maybe disadvantage on Cha checks where the audiences motivations/likes/dislikes are not immediately obvious.

The useful aspects of Asperger's seem to be very variable and not everybody has them. So it would come down to the individual PC. As a DM, if I saw a player giving themselves disadvantage on the things above, it would seem reasonable to me when they ask for advantage in decoding some encryption or want to spend 18hrs straight studying a topic of particular interest.

nevin

Hero
Well if you have aspergers you know about. If they don't know you i'd suggest letting the group know you have it and that if you say something that comes across as offensive it probably won't be meant that way.

My best character model for a person with Strong Aspergers would be Amos in the Expanse. though because of his dark background he's a bit scary instead of fun. He knows he doesn't process things like other people but he want's to fit in and have a good life.

or
Sameen on person of interest. One of the episodes where she saves a little girl has this great scene where the girl tells her that I know you feelings, they are just turned way down. I always thought that was a great way to explain how people with Aspergers are emotionally.

Others could be
Napoleon dynamite,
Sherlock Holmes
House.
Lt Barclay from Star Trek
or Roland from the Dark tower Series by Stephen King.

pming

Legend
Hiya!
How would you fine people play a person with aspurgers and/or autism?
along these lines:how would you fine people BUILD a person with aspurgers/autism?

Depending on the severity, just a simple adjustment to certain Skill rolls and maybe some bonus to a particular Skill.

For example, maybe -2 to Animal Handling, Insight, Perception, and all Charisma Skills....but, give that particular PC an "Expertise" (like the Thief ability) AND Advantage on all Animal Handling (Bovines). Other than that, I'd leave it up to the Player to role-play it all.

My reasoning comes from me being a single father to an autistic daughter (she just turned 11). She's a great kid, with her late mothers 'quirkiness' and funny-bone, but she is definitely lacking in the Animal Handling, Insight, Perception, Persuasion, etc skills to be sure! Schooling isn't really her thing, but in it she is very good at reading, math and languages. She is also rather amazing at remembering something she is told; her magic number is "3". When I showed her the ASL signs for "I love you", the first time she saw me do it she was confused. Then, right after I showed her again, she tried to mimic it. Then I showed/corrected her the third time. She had it memorized. A few months later, I got her attention, and Signed "I love you"...she immediately repeated it as I signed it. But she can do that with just about anything. She, for example, reads the song list on a CD case. I can then say "Corbyn, what's the 5th song, of Poison, on their Look What the Cat Dragged in CD? And she'll tell me.

BUT...I ask her what she did today at school? Pfft! Forget about it. She'll give the same general response every time, with no specifics.

So, yeah, penalties to some skill(s), big bonus to one or two others, and leave the rest up to roleplaying.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Remove ads