• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ask me about Shadowrun 4th!

GlassJaw

Hero
Thanee said:
Oh one question... penalties still change the target number?

Have you followed any of the SR4 FAQ's on the FanPro site? They gave some details over the past few months.

The answer is no. The target number is now fixed at 5. Bonuses or penalties add or subtract from the amount of dice you roll.

Thanee

First Post
Uhm, no, havn't really followed them.

Nice, then it works pretty much like my own rules revision for SR2. :D

Bye
Thanee

AIM-54 said:
My jealousy knows no bounds. Sounds like it's a good revision if nothing else.

Can you explain drain a bit more clearly, I'm not sure I understand the relation of 1-4 boxes of damage to the Force/2 part.

I'll also second JustKim's request for more details on decking. :)
Probably more information about damage resolution would help...

I guess it is something like (resistance dice) vs 5, damage is boxes - successes.
I´d like to see some example weapon statistics (especially for damage) and firearm rules (burst, autofire)

Yah, that's my weak spot. When I get home and have the book in hand I'll post a rundown of decking. In the meanwhile:

Matrix - Wireless: At the time of Crash 2.0, one corp was releasing wireless tech able to handle matrix-grade bandwidth. The Crash inspired corps to roll out wireless as a way to rebuild faster. With the uber virus causing hardware to physically catch fire (Cooling Fans? We don't need no stinkin' cooling fans!), server rooms became dangerous places. Much safer to scatter networking gear hither and yon using multiple power circuits. The second advantage was ubiquitous data accessibility on-site that upped productivity since you can access data wherever the signal reaches and good design can ensure the signal doesn't punch through the walls.

With the advent of wireless gear came Personal Area Networks (PANs - a term familiar to people with Bluetooth phones) consisting of a Comm and your other gear. A Comm is Pocket Sec 2.0. Go look at a Treo 650 and add ten generations until you get something like an EFC Global. It is a handheld computer with a transceiver that can coordinate multiple devices. Comms coordinate your HUD-enabled glasses, subvocal mike, earbuds, drones, and smartguns.

Comms have various properties such as signal strength, firewall, and OS. Storage is considered such a non-issue in 2070 that the megapulse (Mp) has faded from use. The firewall provides protection from outside hackers, the OS has various performance qualities, and signal strength says how far away you can be from another transmitter.

Technomancers: Otaku have been renamed "Technomancers." They still wander the net without need of hardware and use "Complex Form" sprites to handle their tasks. IIRC there is a limitation of Logic x3 complex forms at char-gen but I'm not sure if there's a limit for active characters.

Technomancers are their own Comm and do not need any cyber in the slightest. According to the SR developer who wrote the Hacking rules, he expects rules on hacking a Technomancer's brain to show up at some point. Imagine the potential fun and games that could cause.

Last bits before I leave work:

Actions are SR-normal: free+2 standard or free+1 complex

Weaponfire comes in SA, BF, and FA. SA & BF are standard actions. Full Auto is a complex.

SA incurs -1 penalty due to recoil for 2nd shot. BF incurs a -2 and -3 recoil penalty, IIRC. There are 2 kinds of bursts, narrow and wide. Narrow bursts add +2 to the damage value (DV) while a wide burst gives a -2 penalty to the target's dodge.

FA -9 recoil and I think it is +6/-6 for the Narrow & Wide bursts which I will have to confirm later.

Armor still has Ballistic/Impact ratings that are very similar to SR2.

IIRC, a heavy pistol is ~Damage 5P = 5 boxes physical. If the weapon's damage rating exceeds the target's armor rating, wounds are physical since they punch through the armor. If the armor is higher than the weapon, any damage is stun.

There's a dodge skill in the new system that I can't remember exactly when it's applied. I'll post an example of combat and an overview of decking later tonight, lawn permitting. (Amazing how much grass grows when you're out of town 5 days)

Shemeska

Adventurer
Out of curiousity, what has happened, setting-wise in the years in-game from SR3 to SR4? I heard something about a major earthquake in California (and a Winternight nuke in the San Andreas fault?), and the death of Lucian Cross in Crash 2.0, but not much else.

The setting is more interesting to me than the rules changes, so what else has happened in the game world with the rollout of the new edition? Anything with Ibn Eisa? Awakened Siberia? etc.

Other than the SR4 intro timeline, I have no idea about the setting changes. I stopped paying attention to most of the SR world products during the Year of the Comet so a lot of the stuff others have been playing for 2-3 years are new to me.

Ranged Combat sequence:
Attacker rolls: Agility + (combat skill)
Defender rolls: Reaction vs. ranged attacks
Reaction + Dodge vs. ranged attacks when in Full Defense
Reaction + (Weapon Skill) to parry melee
Reaction + Unarmed Combat to block melee
Reaction + Dodge to dodge melee
Reaction + (Weapon Skill) or Dodge + Dodge vs. melee in Full Defense
Subtract defender's successes from attacker's successes to get net successes.
If no net successses are rolled, no damage
If positive, add to weapon base damage value (DV) to get the modified DV
Apply any weapon-specific armor penetration mods to get modified Armor Value (AV)
If a physical attack's modified DV is less than the modified AV damage is stun
Defender rolls Body + modified AV to reduce modified DV.
If modified DV =0 no damage, otherwise the remaining are boxes of damage

A small list of weapons:
weapon damage AP special
Combat Axe Str/2 +4P -1 Reach:+2
Knife Str/2 +1P - -
bow Str Min +2P -
Shuriken Str/2 - Can ready Agil/2 per Ready Weapon action
Pulsar Taser 6S -half
Fichetti 600 4P RC:1 (folding stock) laser sight
Predator IV 5P -1 Integral smartgun
Smartgun X 5P - RC:2 (RC:3 w/folding stock) smartgun link
Remington 990 7P -1 RC:1
Remington 990 9P(f) +2 RC:1 - loaded with flechettes

Armors: Ballistic/Impact
Leather Jacket 2/2
Armor Jacket 8/6
Armor Vest 6/4
Security Armor 10/8 (helmet adds +2/+2)

Hacking

The cyberdeck has been replaced by the Comm as processing power is so great now that an old Fairlight Excaliber v1.0 is on par with the popular GameSlave Omega "Comms for Gamerrrrs." (Okay, I made that up but it's the idea)

Comms have 4 properties:
Response: Intuition + Response is matrix initative. Response degrades if you overload the processor.
Signal: The transceiver's power ranked 0-9. 0 is 3m, 9 is 400km. Cheap comms only reach 100m while the top of the line hits 4km. Yes, you can turn it down.
Firewall: armor for hackers value 1-3
System: the comm's OS. Bargain-bin comms have rating 1, most are 2-3 with the best being 4. Every (system) programs you run reduces your Response by 1. Deva has a system rating of 3 so you can run 1-2 programs with no penalty, 3-5 at -1 Response, 6-8 at -2, etc.

Most tests are Hacking + (Program rating) opposed by either another decker's Hacking + (Program) or a server's System + Firewall.

Deckers can use three modes of operation: "augmented reality" (aka lots of HUDs and audible cues), cold sim (VR but with limiters on pain, etc), hot sim (no limiters, few defenses, can be addictive since it's BTL).

AR restricts you to meat-body initiative. Cold Sim initiative is Response + Intuition and you get a second iniative pass. Hot Sim is Response + Intuition +1, you have 3 initiative passes and you get a universal +2 to all Matrix tests.

A planned break-in can be done slowly, using extended Hacking + Exploit tests requiring System+Firewall successes, made 1/day in AR or 1/hr in VR. This gives user-level access. Add +3 to difficulty for security access, +6 for admin access. When you actually access the system it gets to make an Analyze + Firewall test to recognize you as bogus, and it needs (Stealth program rating) successes to succeed.

On-the-fly hacks are more brutal and likely shorter lived. Extended Hack+Exploit Program test as Complex action needing (Firewall) successes. The server gets to make Extended Analyze+Firewall tests needing (Stealth) successes to notice you and can sound the alarm even before you get in.

After that it turns into something similar to normal combat using Cybercombat skill + (attack program rating) opposed by decker's Response + (stealth program) or IC's Response + Firewall. Damage is net successes + (attack program rating) Hardware resist damage with System + (Armor program) while deckers use Willpower+(Biofeedback Filter program), and IC use Rating+(Armor).

Comms have 8+(System/2) boxes of damage. IC can be built with more or less damage than their rating might suggest.

AIM-54 said:
Can you explain drain a bit more clearly, I'm not sure I understand the relation of 1-4 boxes of damage to the Force/2 part.

Spellcasting:
Caster rolls Spellcasting+Magic to generate successes (cannot generate more successes than the spell's Force rating). Living target rolls Willpower + Counterspelling + Shielding for direct spells (e.g. Powerbolt, Manabolt) or treat as Ranged combat for indirect spells (Lightning bolt). Inanimate targets usually rely on Object Resistance table to reduce successes for direct spells (e.g. Powerbolt) and treat indirect spells as ranged combat. Net successes determine damage or effect.

The mage then resists drain using Willpower + Counterspelling and needs to get a number of successes equal to the Drain. So Deathtouch has (F/2)-1 drain, so if it had been cast at F6 the mage would be resisting (6/2)-1 = 2 boxes of drain. If the force is greater than the mage's Magic rating any unresisted drain is Physical, otherwise it is Stun.

A number of utility spells can function just fine at Force 1; the physical illusion spells defeat autonomous sensors 100% of the time. Levitate and the Extended detection spells will also be useful, if not particularly spiffy. Naturally anything resisted may get nulled as so few successes apply. This makes the Adept/Mage or Cyber/Mage a more appealing option for utility and style. Heck, having a Magic:1 allows you to get the Counterspell skill and provide yourself spell defense.

Last edited:

Remove ads