• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Any Custom-Made Epic Spells Rattling Around Out There?

I vaguely recall having a wizard that made a custom divination spell. We called it Control + F for fun. It was first level, I think. It would let you search through a book for one phrase per casting. So something like this:

Search (Control + F)
Level: Wiz 1
Components: V/S/M
Casting Time: 1 Minute (You're not using it in combat, does it matter?)
Range: Object Touch
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No

Upon casting this spell you speak a phrase you wish to find within a tome, scroll, letter, or other written work. The pages that contain the phrase begin to glow (color of caster's choice) and on each page the phrase is also highlighted. The magic of this spell will find the phrase in other written languages but does not confer the ability to read those languages if they are not one that you speak. Ciphers and secret languages defeat this spell's magic. The magic remains active until you close the book or it leaves your possession.

Material Component: The written work to be examined.

If I recall correctly, we had to find the details to defeat a demonic dragon. Fortunately a great sage wrote about his encounter with it ages ago. The problem was his library was full of hand written books with no real means of categorization. It was faster to spend the time researching a spell to help us filter through his life's work than to try and skim each book.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads