• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Aging penalties and new exhaustion rules.

Horwath

Legend
Now that we have new exhaustion rules that give -1 penalty per level on all d20 rolls(I would also add -1 to all DCs(not just spells) and -1 to AC and -5ft speed per 2 levels(min of 5ft speed).)

we can now return the 3.5e aging penalties with exhaustion levels:

I.E.
Humans

middle age: 40+ years, one permanent exhaustion level.
old age: 60+ years, one additional permanent exhaustion levels. 2 total
venerable age: 80+: one additional permanent exhaustion levels. 3 total

now, this would probably not play part in most games, but it would be a nice description of aging.

optional: new feat;

Young at heart:
+1 any ability,
you reduce your permanent age exhaustion levels by one.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Character age is one of those things that just work better and have more impact on the game from a roleplay perspective, rather than a mechanical one.

If a player specifically decides to make their character very old or very young... the way they portray their character and the actions they do or do not take based upon their age will be more meaningful and have more obvious ramifications than any sort of +1 or -1 they could apply to their stats.

A -1 to stats for being old means nothing if they player plays their character no differently than how they'd play it if they weren't old.

ECMO3

Hero
Now that we have new exhaustion rules that give -1 penalty per level on all d20 rolls(I would also add -1 to all DCs(not just spells) and -1 to AC and -5ft speed per 2 levels(min of 5ft speed).)

we can now return the 3.5e aging penalties with exhaustion levels:

I.E.
Humans

middle age: 40+ years, one permanent exhaustion level.
old age: 60+ years, one additional permanent exhaustion levels. 2 total
venerable age: 80+: one additional permanent exhaustion levels. 3 total
I do not think that idea has aged well (pun intended) and would not go over well in 2022 or the mindset of most players.

We played with an old human (80ish) PC in one of my campaigns and he certainly would not have appreciated rules getting in the way of thematics and nerfing his character.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I always kind of liked the aging rules & how it tended to encourage old wizened casters with younger martials. With
age. If it gave a perm point of exhaustion though it might need to carry a bigger bump & maybe an increase to the cap itself to at least offset the penalty to one or more of the score(s) it raises. No it didn't penalize martial types because it added room for the GM to give out +2/+4/+6/+8 attrib magic items & tomes that 5e mostly did away with in it's quixotic pursuit of simplicity on top of bumping those other stats for extra skill points & such.

1 At middle age, –1 to Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha.
2 At old age, –2 to Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha.
3 At venerable age, –3 to Str, Dex, and Con; +1 to Int, Wis, and Cha.

Remove ads