• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Adventure) The Island of Varras'zul (Manzanita Judging) (Concluded)

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
As soon as his feet touch solid, packed earth, Rasereit Vundinn, mighty dwarven barbarian, regains all of his composure and more, a strength and vigor greater than before filling his being. He stands up straight and the dizzying sway of the boat that normally clouds voyagers' minds is instantly quelled. It seems as though he even gains in height, he is so confident and proud. "Alright boys and girls, let's get this thing off the ground, so t'speak. Ha harr! Ah'll be takin' the lead, if our kind sponsor is willing to direct me. Alright? Let's be off then!" A rumbling, bellowing laugh bursts loudly from his chest as he strides off into the jungle.

OOC: I'll tank the front, I think I'll last the longest from a direct hit.

rln

Explorer
Ogrin smiles as he sees land approaching. As soon as he has land under his feet, he will equip his armour. He looks at Rasereit and Scun, both eager to get going. "It looks like the position for point man has been filled twice already. I'm better with surprise attacks, so I'll stay at the rear, coming around on the flank if something happens."

OOC: Ogrin will stay at the rear. In case of an attack to the front, he will try to move silently through the undergrowth while avoiding detection, coming around to flank any opponents if possible without putting himself in a bad situation.

RillianPA

First Post
As the party lands, Rillian chooses an opportune time when Mona is not close to anyone else. He steps up to her and says very quietly:

"Um, Mona. I saw that something was troubling you. We are all here to help you, and anything you tell us can only help. Anything you keep from us, may stop us from being able to rescue your friends. Please, you can trust us."

/ooc If its ok, Rillian will range around the party. He likes to talk to everyone, and find out about them. Feel free to pick up a bit of conversation with him. If it becomes necessary to go single file, he will be as close to the lead as possible.

nimisgod

LEW Judge
ooc: sorry for the delay, guys. weekend= no access. hopefully will have internet installed in compy by today.

ooc2: party formation is as follows:

Rasereit Scun

Rillian
Mona Nezrak

Ogrin

Rillian:
"Can you sense it? The evil in this place? i think it might've been a mistake to bring you all here!" her whispers were heated with emotion. "I should've gone alone..."

The beach was deserted of beasts and birds. A few small crustraceans scuttled from the rocky shallows and back. The party first moved into the jungle for shelter from the rain. After a short discussion about their formation, the intrepid adventurers started their trek into the warm jungle. Behind them earstwhile, the sailor and his boat bid them farewell and cast off toward the Winder.

The jungle had a verdant quality to it, full of life and movement. But at the same time, the eerie silence that followed the party hinted only at a hidden and darker aspect. Only the buzzing of sting flies disturbed this quietude. The half orc and the dwarf were mostly immune to their irritating bites, thanks to hide and hair respectively. But the others were vulnerable to the distraction wrought by the vermin.

Rasereit and Scun led the party according to Mona's instruction. The dwarf and half-orc's lore of the wild made the journey through the overgrown jungle quicker. Rasereit used his handax to hew a path for the people behind him. Meanwhile, Scun's sickle combined with his half-orc muscle did a fair job in scything a way past the worst plant obstacles.

Mona rolled up the map as soon as they could get into the jungle. The old paper would be useless if exposed to the humid environ, priestly magicks nonwithstanding. So, Mona hid it away in her belt pouch.

ooc3: to be continued. will continue at 1pm.
also, I'm assuming that most of you have their shields out but not their weapons (exception: scun and rasereit). this is mostly because some of you have multiple weapons and I don't know what you would have out. please specify if you do have a weapon out and what kind. for spellcasters, remember that you need a free hand for somatic components

Last edited:

RillianPA

First Post
nimisgod said:
Rillian:
Can you sense it? The evil in this place? i think it might've been a mistake to bring you all here!" her whispers were heated with emotion. "I should've gone alone..."

Rillian responds
"No, you cant think that way Mona. We are in this together, and we are trusting in your leadership. My pa always says 'Nothing important is ever easy' and uncle Caem used to say 'Boy, you have to resist evil, whereever you find it.' We can do this Mona, we can do it together."

nimisgod said:
ooc3: to be continued. will continue at 1pm.
also, I'm assuming that most of you have their shields out but not their weapons (exception: scun and rasereit). this is mostly because some of you have multiple weapons and I don't know what you would have out. please specify if you do have a weapon out and what kind. for spellcasters, remember that you need a free hand for somatic components

/ooc Good point. Rillian will be carrying his 2 javelins in his left hand.

nimisgod

LEW Judge
Mona simply shook her head at Rillian's words, then moved on with the journey.

Hours passed as they hewed and hacked their way into Varras'zul. The undergrowth began to lessen in tenacity and in amount, as if the island had given in to its intruders. T'was still difficult to walk through the jungle, however.

ooc: half movement + all the effects thereof.

Besides the annoying flies other problems beset the party. Those in full suits of armor suffered from the smothering humidity of the area. Sweat trickled liberally down everyone's faces, save for Mona who seemed to be protected from the heat in the place.

It was Nezrak, not Mona however, that looked up and saw a dark serpentine shape hanging above them. This was just as the halfling Ogrin was walking under it that the python let itself loose from the branch and began to fall toward its prey.

RillianPA

First Post
nimisgod said:
It was Nezrak, not Mona however, that looked up and saw a dark serpentine shape hanging above them. This was just as the halfling Ogrin was walking under it that the python let itself loose from the branch and began to fall toward its prey.

/ooc I apologize for the following if any are silly questions, but as this is my first PbP combat:
Should we all just post what we would like to do, or will you post an initiative order? Your post implied surprise, will you tell us if/when people are surprised, who is and isnt?
How far above Ogrin was the python?

Rillian will attempt to throw a javelin, if he can act while the python is in the air. If not, he will draw his dagger and close to Ogrin (if that is 5ft or less, he will also attack the python).

nimisgod

LEW Judge
ooc1: Ask away. There are no silly questions... except "Dude, where's my car?"
ooc2: Only Nezrak has seen the python. No one else.
ooc3: Rillian cannot draw a dagger, move to the python and attack bec. he does not have BAB +1.
ooc4: This is currently the surprise round. In PbP, you can post your actions ahead of time, even before initiative is called. The problem of doing so is if circumstances change and your action might not be feasible or even possible.

My preference is that everyone post their actions ahead of time and make allowances for what might happen. It's more "believable". But I'm okay with waiting for each person to reply only on their initiative count. So, either way is fine with me though the former leads to faster games... the latter is nice too because it's more cautious.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
As soon as he hears the shout from behind him, Razh whips around, brandishing his axes. He moves towards the viper quickly yet cautiously. He strikes out with his Dwarven crafted axe when he reaches his target. Once his initial damage is done, he continues to hack and slash at the creature with both of his weapons, grunting, but quietly so, for fear of upsetting other dangerous wildlife or anything else that might be lurking nearby.

OOC: 1st action = Move to target, attack w/ Dwarven Waraxe, +4 attack, x3 crit, 1d10+3.
OOC: 2nd action = Attack w/ Waraxe and Hand axe, +2/+2 attack, x3 crit, 1d10+3, 1d6+3
OOC: AC=16 (14 Flat-footed, 12 Touch), Fort save = +4 (in case of poison)

Last edited:

Xael

First Post
"*(Insert random heavy cursing here)* Ogrin, above you!"

OOC: The shout above naturally only applies if Nezrak has time to act before the snake/whatever actually attacks. But if it's a surprise round... I hate poisonous things btw.

Nezrak continues cursing, this time only inside his mind though. He draws his longsword (and, if possible, attacks the snake), as his crossbow and spells aren't really the best options in the situation.

Remove ads