• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Adventure) The Haunted Halls of Stonepike

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Taking your leave of the Roadhouse, the band moves off East down the Great East Road,out past the woods and into the hilly plains beyond.
There are signs of recent travel here, as several deep ruts have been worn in the Road by passing Caravans, as well as the slimmer markings of coach wheels.
As well, the myriad of horseshoe tracks criss cross the muddy surface of the road, so recentlly a clean and cobbled thing, but now covered in the washed over mud of so many rains.Whoever has the task of cleaning these Roads once the rains stop has a job that none would envy...

It is perhaps three hours before sundown when you reach the bankd of the swollen River Grellgo. It is as the dwarves said, the River is quite high and moving very fast.

Urgan dismounts and approaches, frowning.Walking up and down, he attempts to locate the Ford that should lie just off of the way from the Road (which turns North at the River).

dpdx

Explorer
"Goodness, that's fixin' ta drown an ogre." Rurik remarks casually, having stopped and dismounted a fair ways back.

Presuming Telerin doesn't object, Rurik would rather look for wood to build a bridge than try to swim it.

nimisgod

LEW Judge
"With a well placed arrow and some rope, the Grellgo might bear crossing. The current's speed makes one's heart falter at the thought of braving them."

Guilt Puppy

First Post
"Rope'll work fer us, but what 'bout our 'ounds? Specially Tele's..." He gestures toward Whitefang, raising his eyebrows.

"Bridge'll do best, tho' I doubt we're with what armpower'll be needed'n hoist it."

(How far is it, from bank to bank?)

dpdx

Explorer
[Some scenery questions:

- Are there any trees along the riverbanks?

- Any stones, and if so, how big are they, and can they be removed from the ground?

- Is the road the highest ground, or is there a bank that's higher? Is there any high ground nearby?
]

"Oh! Oi! I just 'membert I gots some stuff what might 'elp us!"

Rurik leads his horse to the highest ground he can find on his side of the river, and begins to rummage through his pack for some things. As he finds them, they thump out onto the ground with a clank or other appropriate noise: miner's pick, crowbar, grappling hook, 50 feet of rope.

"Per'aps we could find us a way 'cross wi' this stuff an' what's around 'ere."

Last edited:

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Sturm shuffles through his pouch, seeing what he has to contribute.

"Oi! 'ere's some... more rope... 'n" ... shuffling ... "'n tha's 'bout all."

He tosses his fifty feet of silk rope to Rurik, then looks around at the natural features for help, seeming lost.

"Tele', 'ow good 'f a bridge'll W'itfang 'ave need fer?"

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
OoC:The bank on your side of the river is a bit higher than the other, as you are heading downhill (the opposite side levels out more, you can see shallow water for a long ways, as the river splashes over the plain beyond).
There are several boulders around on your side, though none on the other as far as you can see. there are a few trees opposite, however. There is quite a lot of fallen debris from the recent storms ( Survival total 19 for Sturm), maybe enough for a raft with time, or to anchor ropes etc...let's say 2 saplings of about 20' length each and another 25 feet or so <1rolled 2D20 for each>.
lots of smaller limbs etc as well.

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Thurgan eyed the swelled river warily, "T'only thin' I hate more'n these beasts is deep water - 'specially the runnin' kind. Don't 'spose there's a ford further down, huh?"

Remove ads