(Adventure) Crocodile Rock [Knight Otu judging]

crueldespot

First Post
OOC:
Uh-oh. I'm brand new here and they are already "keeping an eye" on me.

Here's the deal: I'm not overly eager to get into a PvP battle, but I'm not going to let any other character take a dump on mine (figuratively or -even worse- literally). Would anyone take that from an NPC? No. PCs shouldn't be different.

Anyway, it's just a matter of playing style. Some players don't mind direct conflict when the characters' personalities lead that way. Others get really upset when their characters die. I don't want to ruin the game for anyone else. If someone wants to diffuse the situation, Cain will back down. Shaking hands would have ended it in the first place. If Lady Fant orders Cain to back down, he will wait to "settle it later." Or Calamar can refuse to fight. Such a display of cowardice would assuage Cain's honor. Or we can fight it out if Rocco doesn't mind. How long can a level 1 fight take? I won't hold a grudge if Calamar kills Cain. More likely one of us will get knocked below zero and then healed back up- "Don't go into the light!"

Kangaxx

First Post
Nielan Tal

Nielan will watch the banter between Cain and Calamar with an expression of disdain.

The Goblin King said:
Donoros clears his throat, "Yes, that will due. Here is your advance. We shall meet here tomarrow morning and start then. Any other questions?" He takes out five bags and gives one to each.

Nielan takes the bag, hefting it in his hand. "50 ennies seems a paltry sum for the considerable danger you are asking us to confront. I imagine just the trophy you seek to gain from this is worth a larger amount. Perhaps..." as the argument being carried on next to him becomes more heated, the disdain turns into annoyance. He takes a deep breath, visibly suppressing the emotion, and continues speaking as if he and Donoros were the only people present. "Perhaps there should also be some hazard pay."

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
crueldespot said:
OOC:
Uh-oh. I'm brand new here and they are already "keeping an eye" on me.

No worries, this is standard ENworld stuff- each adventure has a judge watching it, to make sure that the experience and gold awards aren't out of line, that sort of thing. In any case, Fant intends defuse the situation shortly. Or, uh, try to stop you two from fighting, anyway. :D

Fant is torn between telling the two of them to shut the hell up and helping Nielan negotiate the fee. She resists the urge to groan. She had hoped for a real nobleman... noblegnome, and instead she gets a cheap hopped-up peasant with a great desire to wade through the sewer and be eaten by a crocodile. Between that and the scrabbling between the mage and the halfling, she's tempted to cut her losses and leave now.

She compromises by walking over to the two arguing adventurers first. "Gentlemen?" she says softly, and is either not heard or ignored. "Gentlemen!" she says more sharply, but still quietly. Having gotten their attention, she leans in slightly so both of them can hear her.

"What you two do on your own time is your business, but if we're all going to be working together, I recommend you take my advice. Which is to leave personal matters at the door or so help me I'll challenge you both to duels and kill you myself." She smiles. Or bares her teeth, in any case. She carries herself like someone who has a bad day and doesn't feel like dealing with any unnecessary difficulties just now, thank you very much.

Her piece said, and her leadership skills demonstrated suitably to Lord Donoros, she walks over to negotiate her fee....

Diplomacy +12.

Last edited:

Knight Otu

First Post
[judge]Crueldespot, my post was not directed at you. I was volunteering as the judge for this adventure, which technically every adventure needs. But I too would prefer if both characters return from this adventure alive. If they end up bitter enemies or live-long friends is up to you (it would be interesting if it were as enemies, though). Besides, you're still in the Red Dragon, and if all else fails, Joe certainly wouldn't want a fight.[/judge]

Otakkun

Explorer
Eberk Torunn

Watching lady Fant's amusing little speech with the two fast tempered 'adventurers' (not that he thought any of them qualified for his God's aid as they were), Eberk takes a step in between both of them and offers a couple of words of wisdom.

"Gentlemen, I'd advice you to not scorn the lady. Wisdom tells that there are few things more dangerous to men than a woman rightfully scorned, and she seemed serious about her threat." His tone of voice was cordial but it left little space for rebuttal (he IS a dwarf after all).

Changing his tone of voice for one more dry, he adds "On the good side, I can state that both of you could probably go toe to toe with a dwarf on a contest of stubborness. You just need to pick a fight that its actually worth it first though."

There was no way a dwarf would allow a hardheaded contest to go by without joining it himself.

The Goblin King

First Post
Donoros drums his fingers on the table, "If you two are going to kill each other do it on your own time, not mine." He pauses, "Lady Fant, was there something else?"

DM-Rocco

Explorer
"Well," replied Calamar the Dark in a pompous manner, "there is polite and then there is down right rude. You have made a mockery of me and my request. All my life I have been judged for my skin color and the human features that I have that are shaped more akin to that of the accursed Drow."

Calamar the Dark, threw back his hood. Just over 6 feet tall, slim yet well rounded, long Silver locks of hair hanging over his shoulders and piercing Lavender eyes in the center of his very cunning face, Calamar the Dark can very well be called a fearful man. Calamar is dressed in a fine simple Black cloth, hanging loosely around him, revealing quite much of his cold yet powerful body. He wears no symbol of his faith and does not openly reveal, even to his comrades, any signs of items of power, other than himself. His reasoning is that items of magic makes one weak and he would rather rely on his own skill in magic and faith to see him through the day.

Calamar the Dark is rumored to be of Drow decent because of his appearance but those that know him know that he is human and his heart has a different mission that is both Lawful and Good. The unfortunate reality of his looks mask his true intent towards others.

Calamar the Dark, careful to stay at least five feet away from any one person, stares down the little man with disdain, the always present words of magic forming on his lips.

"You would have done wise to offer me your friendship without condition, it is going to be wise to back down and if you wish to see the sun rise and hear to birds of morning ring in the new days dawn, you will watch your mouth when in the company of wizards," he said in cool even tones, showing no emotion, only an icy cold stare.

"Sorry Donoros, this is personal."
OOC, Calamar the dark readies an action to cast Ray of Enfeeblement on Cain should he move to attack or attempt to come within five feet of me. I am also fondleing a Alchemist’s fire behind my back.:]

Side note to crueldespot, perhaps it would have been better for you to be the better man and not have said "shake my hand or die!", I think it was the die part that got Calamar all fired up. Regardless, Calamar is a proud man who has been prejudged all his life, and whether you knew it or not, he takes offense to your remarks about death.

Calamar is a bit contradicting towards others, since he doesn't want people judging him, but he will prejudge you. All you had to do was be nice, that would have meant no mention of "or die." Just for future reference.

You have challenged him to a duel, and given him no recourse to save face, I am left with little options.:\

It is interesting, because in the real world, I may have dismissed a remark like the one I gave you, I would knock you out if you said to me, shake hands or die:p , oh well, we will see what happens.
Sorry it took so long to reply, I went to see Harry Potter. Very good if anyone wants to know. I might check the posts in the morning, otherwise, sometime tomorrow night.:)

Otakkun

Explorer
having made his point, and having hear about payment, the dwarf simply moves towards the one handing the money.

It wasn't much, yet the cleric wasn't going to argue about it, he was yearning for an adventure, and for now, that seemed to be payment enough.

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
The Goblin King said:
"Lady Fant, was there something else?"

"Yes," begins Fant. "I wish to negotiate..."

DM-Rocco said:
"Well," replied Calamar the Dark in a pompous manner, "there is polite and then there is down right rude...."

Fant's cheek muscle twitches. "...permission to settle this situation, Lord Donoros." Assuming he aquieces to her request* (which, if pressed later, she will likely maintain was a clever negotiation ploy to demonstrate her worth- in truth, she's had enough of, in no paticular order, cheap employers, followers of Grendath, arrogant wizards, and hotheaded adventurers), she removes one metal gauntlet from the pair hanging at her waist, puts it on her right hand, and turns around to face the wizard and the halfling.

WHAM.

The table jumps as her mailed fist slams into it. Her face is like stone and her tones are clipped and controlled.

"I could point out your impetuousness, your idiocy, your foolishness, or your hypocrisy, but instead I'm going to point out how far out of line you are, because it's the only thing likely to get through your skull." It's unclear which one she's addressing, as her gaze roves from one to the other, but it seems that the most recent escalator of the conflict is getting the brunt of her ire. "You are currently the benefactor of Mr. Smith's hospitality. Fighting in his back room while someone is attempting to arrange a job is wasting my time and Lord Donoros's, but more to the point, it rankly abuses Mr. Smith's trust. The first person to violate the explicit laws of Orussus or the implied laws of the Tavern feels the flat of my blade as I beat you into unconciousness before I turn you over to the watch." There is a pause. "Now, either you be silent about your personal disputes and set them aside for the course of Lord Donoros's commision- if he still wants you- or you can leave this room now and settle your dispute elsewhere. I'm sure there's a back alley that can accomodate you." The last she says with a bit of a sneer.

"Do we understand each other?"

*If he denies permission, Fant will sit back. For a while, anyway.

It's fun playing an angry character! :D

Fellows, I don't think all the disclaimers are required, or at least not in such an extended form. We're all grown-ups here, and I doubt we'll come to blows if, well, our characters do. :) Fant is coming into this situation with a certain amount of baggage- a previous job was bungled- and acts accordingly. Feel free to explain motivations, in your post or out of it, but don't feel the need to apologize; I think we can all assume we're role-playing our characters well.

Last edited:

Otakkun

Explorer
Eberk Torunn

"Ye lass would make a fine dwarven bride I'd say..." mutters Eberk at Fant's way of 'settling' things between the two fighting men. Then, he just starts looking around the place, waiting for whatever the lady was going to do before she was interrupted ... again. "A shame yer have no beard though" he continues. "Not to mention broader hips and ..." suddenly realizing that he might very well caving his tomb with his words, Eberk quickly shuts up and tries to find a way to make himself as unnoticeable as possible.

Last edited:

Remove ads