• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Additional Swarm features

Dunamin

First Post
I think the design on swarms in 4E as revealed in today’s article is quite reasonable, but one thing I found sorely missing: The new “Bloodied” condition seems like an obvious point to affect swarm mechanics, since you would expect swarms to be significantly less effective when they’ve lost a significant part of their numbers. Of course, with the greater focus on abstraction of hps I’m not saying that half max hp necessarily equals half number of swarm critters, but I think most D&D players and DMs have the impression that a successful attack on a swarm means that one or more members of the swarm has been disposed of.

Thus, I’m considering adding an additional trait to swarms:
When bloodied, swarms gain -2 to damage since there are fewer members contributing to attacks, but +1 to Reflex (and thus AC?) since individual members now are more dispersed.

What do you think?

ShockMeSane

First Post
Yea, that came immediately into my head as I read the preview as well. I thought to myself, surely with Bloodied being an important new condition they will use it to indicate a swarms weakened state.

I'll be houseruling something like that myself, though I'll have to play around with exact numbers.

jackston2

First Post
Things that get weaker when bloodied are kind of bad. They encourage players to use up their encounter powers too quickly, which makes for a disappointing fight.

Dunamin

First Post
jackston2 said:
Things that get weaker when bloodied are kind of bad. They encourage players to use up their encounter powers too quickly, which makes for a disappointing fight.
I'd say the main point of the bloodied condition, is to change the pace of the combat - the creature in question does not necessarily have to be significantly weaker or stronger, just fight differently or pull out a new trick.

My suggested addition means that when the swarm is significantly damaged it becomes less of a threat, but also harder to eradicate. The idea was to reflect that you can no longer chop into a thick mess of bugs and expect to hit as well or as many, when their numbers have dwindled greatly.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads