• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

A 32-Page PHB?

prosfilaes

Adventurer
Has anyone done a 32-page D&D? I'm considering creating a basic book for a language that has no RPGs yet, but I don't have the time to translate a whole SRD without testing the waters out yet. I've thought about doing a short book that covered the player rules for, say, human and one other race, fighter and thief, and the rules needed to handle that for the first few levels. The GM would need to have the books in English, but it's a first step.

Has anyone produced or published a PHB in a much compressed form, 32-64 pages? How much was selective choice of material and how much was compression of existing material? Did they try and follow an existing rules set or feel free to deviate broadly? (I'm only really interested in things that are clearly D&D-esque; i.e. fantasy class and level based things. If I want GURPS Lite or Fudge, I know where to find them.)

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Not sure if you're looking for a particular version of D&D (0e-4e?), but there's Microlite20, kind of a stripped down Fantasy d20/D&D3esque game. Core rules and GM's book are each 2 or 3 pages, and the spell lists, etc are all separate files and could be translated as needed.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Cutting out spellcasting will be huge in D&D PHs, they are usually at least 1/3 of the book.

Going with human and a couple of noncaster classes would be helpful and could probably fit in a small number of pages. In 0e-3e this would mean healing with rest and healing potions which is pretty tough. Alternatives are something like Trailblazer's increased healing on rest mechanic.

There is a 64 page one designed for 8-10 year olds, the pdf is sold for $6 OGL-Fantasy Lite Basic Player's Guide covering levels 1-4 for humans, elves, dwarves, and halflings with cleric, fighter, rogue, and wizard classes for 3e.

The free retro clone ones Swords and Wizardry and Labyrinth Lord are each over 100 pages long.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Present each class as is, but put a level 10 cap on each. This way, many of the higher level "issues" will be circumvented, including a hard limit on high-level magic.

Limit the initial spell selection for Sorcerer/Wizard. Take, say, three of the most popular spells from each school and present them as your base list. Introduce the others by way of Incantations, or simply give the player a descriptive index card with each new spell they find and it'll be like a rare treat.

D20 Modern and D20 Urban Arcana have some nifty ways of tweaking rules for characters. I'd suggest giving both a read for ideas.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads