• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 75 Feats -- not nearly enough

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
You do know that Monsters and encounter building are being redone as well. Most monsters are in a much better situation as well.

Also the players can be easily challenged by the DM using even just MM monsters alone. I don't know if you know this, but it's really really easy to hit the PCs with more than they can handle.
I'm aware, but the details and specific goals are a little scant when you try looking deeper than a description like "better". Heck they are still walking on eggshells to maintain feats in their "optional" state and haven't exactly been open about if magic items will be expected in monster math either.

Monsters are encounter design being redone without going into depth on the goals isn't all that different from the how much average gym membership helps with weight loss*

*You've gotta stick to it and not let up,

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Wouldn't be hardtop do better!
I think that's the whole of the DMG.

Just how much better the new one might be, is a very exciting possibility. Can they go from bad to great? Or will it just be bad to fine? (Or something in between?) I doubt bad to worse is even possible in this case. It's got so much potential, though, that I suppose it could be a bit of a letdown if it winds up just "good".

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think that's the whole of the DMG.

Just how much better the new one might be, is a very exciting possibility. Can they go from bad to great? Or will it just be bad to fine? (Or something in between?) I doubt bad to worse is even possible in this case. It's got so much potential, though, that I suppose it could be a bit of a letdown if it winds up just "good".
It already has a poster map, all other improvements are gravy.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Magic Items won't be expected, they are meant to be pure bonus.

I don't agree with you about feats either.
Perjaps they should gpo all in on supporting your preference by including zero feats and zero magic items
They definitely won't, but I wouldn't be surprised if the DMG has some MUCH better advice on what exactly they do to the balance curve, so that DMs go in eyes open.
How many pages do you think 75 feats and who knows how many magic items take up? Providing the GM with "guidance" on how to fix the game after not taking the heat for banning a defacto default standard with significant page count is not a solution to the initial failure in design that needs "guidance" for the GM to fix

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Perjaps they should gpo all in on supporting your preference by including zero feats and zero magic items
Good luck with that!

How many pages do you think 75 feats and who knows how many magic items take up?
A small section in two different books?

Providing the GM with "guidance" on how to fix the game after not taking the heat for banning a defacto default standard with significant page count is not a solution to the initial failure in design that needs "guidance" for the GM to fix
Hey, I didn't design it!

Also, I assume that they don't think of it so much as a "design failure" as a different priority than what you'd prefer.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Good luck with that!

A small section in two different books?

Hey, I didn't design it!

Also, I assume that they don't think of it so much as a "design failure" as a different priority than what you'd prefer.
Him asked how many pages. The fact that you dodged with "a small section in two books" is telling. They just put out a full book of magic items to give you a ballpark for starting with. It's absolutely a failure of design to be putting out an entire book of something unsupported by the system's math because then the gm needs to finish what should have been done in the core for wotc. the shift from a statement about the lack of information over goals making "better" ring hollow to the absolute certainty of "Magic Items won't be expected, they are meant to be pure bonus" demonstrates why wotc's eggshell treading attempt to have it both ways is an objective failure on wotc's part

Remove ads