• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E Model?

I expect that the 3 book model (PHB, DMG, MM) will remain for 4E. I imagine that the splatbooks for the classes will still come out since they sold really well and very profitable (at least from what I heard).

Olaf the Stout

GreatLemur

Explorer
edbonny said:
Speaking of models though, I have often wondered what this new game could be modeled after and I keep coming back to the idea that 4e should resemble an MMO (such as WoW or City of Heroes) primarily in terms of gameplay where characters are at peak performance each time a battle begins. As most know, characters in many MMOs regenerate their health <hit points> & their mana/endurance <spell points> continually, rather than in DnD 3 where characters rest to regain spells and heal up (if divine healing is not available).
I think that's an extremely good point. Has anyone ever seriously thought it was fun or realistic for a party to rest for eight hours in the middle of some monster-ridden crypt?

mmadsen

First Post
I assume WotC wants to move toward the more profitable model of selling tangible products, like miniatures.

I assume they also want to move toward a game that's easier to play -- not necessarily in the rules-complexity sense, but in the sense that you can get together and play a card game or a board game without worrying about continuity.
JoeGKushner said:
As various boxed sets, Start's Set, etc... come out, they have non-random miniatures in them. Is it possible that there'll be a DM starter set of miniatures that is non-random and meant for low-level play in the first book so to speak?
I think that would make sense. Remember, the randomized packaging isn't simply to attract collectors; it reduces the monstrous -- pardon the pun -- inventory problem of stocking the right miniatures in the right amounts at each store. If almost everyone is going to want a dozen goblins and a dozen dire wolves, then you can package them in a starter set and still make money.
JoeGKushner said:
Return to a more 'classic' art style with some nods to other styles in various sectons?
I personally would enjoy a more "classic" style of art, and I'm surprised WotC didn't try to ride on Lord of the Rings' coattails a bit more, but I strongly suspect they see their market responding well to World of Warcraft imagery.
JoeGKushner said:
Do you think it'll still be three core books? One boxed set? Four books? (PHB for characters and a PHB for spells/spellcasters.)
I've thought for some time that the PHB should be a bit more like the Rules Cyclopedia (or the early 3E PHB), with monsters, etc. -- enough to play the game -- but with the vast lists of spells pulled out into another book, which would also include all the magic items from the DMG.

Last edited:

Catavarie

First Post
4th edition will do away with the d20 and replace it with the d30 which WoTC will become the sole proprietor of the patent therefore every time someone buys a d30 they would get 50% of the money

The_Old_one

First Post
You know, I really do wish that Wizards would do non-random minis. I dropped a couple of hundred pounds on the random ones when we finally (last year) decided to start using them in the game, and ended up with a complete mish-mash of stuff. Now I'm selling them off on e-bay so I can pick up the counter collections instead.

If only more companies were taking advantage of the OGL to put out D&D specific monsters...

Hussar

Legend
On a thought of restoring hp's and such.

I thought that if you made cantrips an unlimited/day thing, then you wouldn't have to burn resources for healing. 1hp/round or 10 hp/minute/caster of healing. That means that you no longer need to burn spells for healing outside of combat. Even 1st and 2nd level parties could keep going for much longer.

Aus_Snow

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
Return to a more 'classic' art style with some nods to other styles in various sectons?
:confused: Muh? I was right with you there (as in, it all made sense to me in context, even if I didn't like the sound of all of it). . . until that line.

What's that one doing there? And, for the record, *gods* I hope not. More Todd Lockwood, Sam Wood, and the like. None of that (ahem) "classic art style" - please! :\

Do you think it'll still be three core books? One boxed set? Four books? (PHB for characters and a PHB for spells/spellcasters.)
Yep, 3 core books. Well, I think it will be, anyway.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads