• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E is coming!

Arnwyn

First Post
MerricB said:
Do you think the future releases schedule is something that portends good or ill for D&D? Is 4E still several years away?
I believe there is no correlation between the current schedule and the release of 4e.

4e will be released when WotC is looking for a large cash influx balanced against the expected level of consumer disilluisionment.

Sebastian Francis said:
Not to be rude or anything, but who cares? I've found my dream system in 3.0. When 3.5 came out three weeks after 3.0 was released, I rolled my eyes at the blatant (and cynical) WotC cash grab. I'll be playing 3.0 for the rest of my life, in all likelihood.

Talk about getting into 3e a little late ;)

ghettognome

First Post
I tend to agree that if Hasbro has their way, which they will since they own WOTC, that there will be an earlier release. There is a good chance that a forced earlier release will make the product rushed and thus suck, causing an almost immediate 4.5. If WOTC does it their way, then I would tend to think 2007 or like earlier mentioned on the 35th anniversary in 2009. That would make sales increase more so for that simple reason.

Scribble

First Post
welcome aboard.

y'arrrrrr cap'n!

I think there's only one thing left to do! Premtively write 4th edition before WOTC get's a chance to do it! Then they'll have to work really hard to preserve their product (3.5) as opposed to 4e.

Staffan

Legend
Henry said:
first edition lasted from 1977 - 1989; 2nd edition lasted from 1988 - 2000; by rights it should be somewhere around 2007-2012 before we see a 4th edition - but that assumes such drastic innovation in mechanics that a re-codifying of all the rules is warranted.
Well, it could be more like 1e to 2e, which wasn't all that drastic. Then again, I guess 3.5e is about on the same level as the 1e/2e difference.

Personally, I think we'll see some of the things from Unearthed Arcana brought into 4e. Just like Player's Option was a bit of a "testing ground" for 3e, UA will probably be for 4e.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
DaveMage said:
Unfortunately, I expect the miniature popularity to decline this year as (according to the ad copy for the upcoming sets) the mini sets veer away from the traditional (i.e. Monster Manual minis) to less tradtional (Eberron, Book of Exalted Deeds) minis.

Most of the D&D Miniatures are sourced from the core books - or could be.

Aberrations has (by my count) about 8 Eberron-themed miniatures: Warforged Hero, Longtooth Barbarian, Carrion-Tribe Barbarian, Sharn Cutthroat, Valenar Commander, Exorcist of the Silver Flame, Bladebearer Hobgoblin, Emerald Claw Soldier.

However, only three of those - Warforged Hero, Longtooth Barbarian (Shifter) and Sharn Cutthroat (Changeling) are obviously Eberron. The other figures look pretty generic.

The "Mind Flayer Telepath" is sourced from the XPH; but looks very similar to a standard Mind Flayer from the MM to me...

This isn't to say that I consider Aberrations a great set - personally, I think the figure choice is very disappointing - but that the ad copy only really represents a small fraction of the miniatures in the set: most come from the Core Rulebooks, or could do.

(Honestly, for a PC miniature, do you care which book it comes from?)

Cheers!

Last edited:

Chainsaw Mage

First Post
MerricB said:
Heh. Of course 4E is coming... and, I'm thankful for it.

Yes, thank you WOTC, for letting me buy your products! THANK YOU! [sheesh]

MerricB said:
Do you think the future releases schedule is something that portends good or ill for D&D? Is 4E still several years away?

Truthfully, I can't even begin to care. There are, like, other things in my life than just D&D. I have other hobbies: I play poker and bridge, chess, I scuba dive, and I read tons of non-RPG books. I have a wife and a kid. I travel.

Eagerly combing WotC's release schedule and salivating over an as-yet-unannoucned 4th edition...well, that just doesn't do it for me.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
MerricB said:
Most of the D&D Miniatures are sourced from the core books - or could be.

(Honestly, for a PC miniature, do you care which book it comes from?)

Cheers!

I was basing my comments solely on the ad copy in the WotC catalog. If the sets only end up using a few minis from the sources mentioned, and the rest stick mainly to Monster Manual minis, then it's not an issue, and sales may continue as they have.

As for PC miniatures, I really do not need anymore as the first 5 sets have me quite overstocked. (But to your comment, I agree, the source in that case does not matter.)

I should also mention that I am viewing these sets as a D&D user of the minis, not a skirmish player (as I have no interest in the latter).

reanjr

First Post
Li Shenron said:
It's supposable (but not strictly necessary) that a series has at least 3 books, so I'm curious to know which following releases they have planned for these 2, especially the first one: this WoL seems to me the most different product from the WotC standards, because it seems to have more flavor material than crunch.

What makes you say that? My first thought was that it would be an entire book of magic weapons. An excessive amount of them. I would be very happy if it were based around the history of said weapons instead, but I'm not holding my breath.

Orius

Legend
Akrasia said:
Shame on you Merric!

The title of this thread is most misleading.

It should be: are you excited about all this new upcoming [insert tedious crap title here]?!?
;)
I agree. The first line of his post should have been: "Made you look!". :D

Remove ads