• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E in 2008? Fact or Fiction?

Sanguinemetaldawn

First Post
Heard from a fellow gamer who is regular on Wizards' boards that a Wiz_O stated 4E was slated for 2008. Not having much success with their boards, and with searching. Checked the new releases Forum, and didn't come up with anything

Yeah...theres a lot of "He said" in there, but my friend is reliable and admins generally have to be reliable or they aren't admins anymore.

Is this old news that I missed, so no-one discusses it? Or no?

Just trying to get to the bottom of this.

There's been no official statement, so its just fiction at this point.

As for the Wiz_Os, they technically have nothing to do with the actual internal workings of WotC, so they know about as much as we do. IF they know anymore, they're likely kept shut up by an NDA or something similar.

Sanguinemetaldawn

First Post
Olive said:
So did you actually find a place where the Wiz_O said that?

....uhhh...no, which was the whole point in coming here and asking it.

If I found a definitive statement I wouldn't have to come here and ask if it was definitively stated, would I?

edited for clarity

Sammael

Adventurer
There is no chance in Gehenna a Wiz_O would have said something like that, so your friend is either misinterpreting a statement or flat-out lying. The date is not unlikely, but the source is highly dubious. April Fools' perhaps?

BTW, one way to search WotC forums is through Google domain search.

Testament

First Post
2008? Doesn't sound totally unfeasible, certainly better than the doomsayer I know in meatspace who's convinced that they'll announce 4E at GenCon next year.

Still, until I hear something from WotC directly, I'm sitting back and saying 4E will come out when it comes out.

lonesoldier

First Post
Hopefully not too soon. I cannot imagine what they would change.

No wait...I could.

But I'm pretty happy with D&D as it is currently, but we'll see I guess. No point in thinking about it this early.

Bront

The man with the probe
2008, that's 10 years. Not bad.

About 3 years from now, D20 will probably be stretched thin and need something to revive it. Perhaps they will have tweeked things a little more, who knows.

The good news, my guess is that it will be similar to the 3.0 to 3.5 conversion as far as compatability (a few tweeks here and there, some feats and skills changed, likely lots of spells changed, but stat blocks being good enough to use between editions in many cases, and supliments not instantly outdated), just because to do anything else might actualy backlash given the ammount of support for other products, and the OGL nature of the beast. Yes, it will give them an excuse to rebuild their books, but it won't chease off the rest of the industry too much (hopefully).

Testament

First Post
Things that'll change? I personally think that for Spells, we've had a taste of what's to come in the XPH, largely on the matter of energy types.

In a theoretical 4th ed, I wouldn't be suprised if the basic energy attack spells like Fireball become Energy Ball, and the caster picks the energy type.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads