• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E [4E] Dungeon Delve: worth getting?

Andrea Rocci

Explorer
I can buy the Dungeon Delve book for a reasonable price. Is it worth getting?

Just to give a bit of background, I am a very late convert to 4E, which I initially despised. I came onboard with Essentials (I'm probably one of the 3 people that were convinced by the Essentials marketing strategy!).

I'm particularly fond of LATE 4e producs such as Moster Vault: threats of the Nentir Vale, Heroes of the Feywild, Gloomwrought, Gardmore Abbey, and the stellar Neverwinter setting book. I do also like Thunderspire Labyrinth, though.

I understand Dungeon Delve is very much in the mood of the first wave of 4e products and puts story in the background. So, what's in for me in that book?

Additionally, up to now I have played only in the Heroic tier.

- Are the set pieces interesting?
- Can you use it as building blocks for your own adventures?
- Are the little delves enjoyable/ clever in themselves?
- Should I correct monster statistics?
- Can you scale down some of the higher level delves? (I don't think I want to play/run above early Paragon levels).

Thanks in advance!

MoutonRustique

Explorer
From my impression of you, in a word : no.

Now, I own it, and I like it, but here's the whys I don't think you'll get all that much value from it :

- it uses the old math meaning that the encounters are unequal : some turn into slogs, some are deadlier than may appear
- you have a gajillion examples available in Dungeon adventures (for, assuredly, an even cheaper price point)
- there aren't that many "Ooh, this is cool!" things in there (most are pretty self-evident or fairly run-of-the-mill)

What I've done with it :
- I've had it since day 1 (or close to it), so I did use it for parts a bit
- I've bought into the idea that whole sanctuaries should consist of no more than 3 encounters with numerous other creatures (the rest is exploration, world-building, interaction with individuals or villages, etc ) - while the MEGA DUNGEON(tm) is a cool trope, I've been in a different mind-frame for a while. With more "realistic dungeons" if you would - it's just a preference thing.

What I've yet to get around to do with it BUt I WILL!:
- turn it into a full-fledged boardgame (something heavily influenced by Lair Assault + with progression, SCs as reward enhancers, etc)

What I would recommend (if you can get it) is Halls of Undermountain. From what I can gather, it would be right up your alley.

Last edited:

Remove ads