• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e campaign settings in multiple books?

Not sure if this is old news, but it surprised me. In Logan Bonner's blog today he mentioned:
Logan Bonner said:
Forgotten Realms
Yesterday I sat in on a meeting about the FR RPG books. It was mostly nailing down the outline for the DM's book, but they also talked some about the story. I've never really gotten into FR, but the story they were talking about set up some pretty interesting conflicts and incorporated some of the more prominent elements of 4E (races that got promoted, for example) in cool ways. I'm really looking forward to FR now. I don't know that much about FR in general, but the story team will tell me what mechanics they need, so it's not a big deal.
Not the plural bookS, and the mention of the "DM's book". Sounds like at least FR is going to released as multiple books possibly Player's and DM's (or return to the old boxed sets could be fun). At least with a mention of a DM's book, it didn't sound like it was a discussion of a series of regional supplements like before.

Now, I'm on the fence with the changes to the setting (and there's plenty of other threads to vent about that), but I just thought this was an interesting tidbit that I hadn't heard yet.

Wystan

Explorer
One setting a year, one Players Guide, One Monster Manual, One Dungeon Masters Guide....

Hmmm...

Players Handbook II - Forgotten Realms
Dungeon Master's Guide II - Forgotten Realms
Monster Manual II - Forgotten Realms

Players Handbook III - Eberron
Dungeon Master's Guide III - Eberron
Monster Manual III - Eberron

Sammael

Adventurer
So, Logan Bonner, a person with zero previous experience and interest in FR, is now writing material for FR? Without doing previous research on the setting? And "it's not a big deal."

Nice one.

Aloïsius

First Post
Sammael said:
So, Logan Bonner, a person with zero previous experience and interest in FR, is now writing material for FR? Without doing previous research on the setting? And "it's not a big deal."

Nice one.
Re-read the article, you failed a comprehension test.

Rechan

Adventurer
Except that settings need at least some more fleshing out than "Here's two books, have fun".

Granted, I'd be happy if they reduced the crunch and were heavy on the fluff. A hand full of PrCs/Spells/Monsters important to the setting and THAT'S IT. Flesh out the areas that have barely been touched.

Simia Saturnalia

First Post
Sammael said:

Nice one.
Well, some mechanical design for the FR cores. Based on what the story team asks for.

Yeah, doesn't sound that big of a deal to me. YMM, clearly, V.

BlackMoria

First Post
It has been a long complaint that the settings books reveal too much to the players and there has been a demand for a DM's book and a player's book. Maybe WOTC acknowledges that is a real issue and is addressing it.

But does it make sense economically? The print run for the DM's book would be smaller and therefore more costly, assuming a 5 players to 1 DM ratio.

Is the 4e FR campaign setting coming out next August more than one book and the price includes both a DM book and a player's book? Everything I read (including Rich Baker stating the page count on Candlekeep) suggests it only one book.

Aloïsius

First Post
BlackMoria said:
But does it make sense economically? The print run for the DM's book would be smaller and therefore more costly, assuming a 5 players to 1 DM ratio.
I think in most FR group, there is only one FRCS anyway... This makes sense, as they will be able to market the new player book to the players.

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Sammael said:

Nice one.
That bugged me, too. You could look at it positively (they're getting a fresh perspective that might bring some good to the setting) or negatively (they're tasking someone who "doesn't get" the setting, and letting them change things until they "finally do" get it). I'm trying to stay positive, but for my part, it gets harder and harder with every blog post, podcast, and short website post - oops, sorry, "Dragon Magazine article." Hopefully what we see next summer will knock our socks off. Hope, hope, hope...

Remove ads