• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4 PCs vs Dragon (Closed)

Jemal

Adventurer
I'll Play A PC.
Problem is that the PCs will be going JUST anti-dragon, so that beastie is toast if he doesn't know we're comin at least an hour before we arrive.
I'ld highly suggest limiting both the dragon AND the PCs to the same books, otherwise it's very lopsided (See other peoples posts to that effect).
Also I'ld suggest a different, more powerful dragon.. A Great White Wyrm is CR20. 4 lvl 20 characters are supposed to be able to handle a CR20 without expending more than 1/6th of their resources. It won't be too much of a challenge, even IF the dragon's all set up in his lair, AND you limit the PCs to the corebooks... Course then again...

Dragons are geniuses, at everything including tactics. Traps before you even get at him should thin the herd (Or at least cause some use of healing spells). Soon as he sees someone start casting spells, he knows who to concentrate on, and you're not the only hasted spellcaster in that cavern. Any dragon worth his salt would have a nice little anti-magic field set up if he knew a mage was coming. It also stops magic weapons from getting through his damage reduction and hurting him. Taking out followers? Why should he bother, at Great Wyrm he's got damage reduction at +3, as soon as he finds out they can't hurt him he'll ignore them. (Or just step on them as he moves towards the mages)
Also, remember that he's probably inside a cave of ice, very slippery ice.. your gonna be falling on their A$$ alot.
A
nyways I should probably stop giving the enemy ideas.. I just love dragons... hehe.
Ah, I remember the time I killed half a 16th lvl party with an Adult Red Dragon(CR 14)... you shoulda seen the looks on their faces when... OK, shutting up now, I gotta learn to stop rambling, ya know?

Also, to Guilt Puppy - You can't have Monk Followers. DMG, Page 46 - first line under the Followers heading "Followers can be warriors, experts, or commoners."

Wippit Guud

First Post
Well, I'll let you pick the color... you choices are White or Black.

I suggest White... Black has way more strategy to him. I'll also let the PCs decide if they really really want the dragon to have leadership or not...

And don't worry about me knowing if they're coming or not, I've already taken people just showing up into account strategy-wise, knowing they're coming is just extra buffing that may not be needed.

I need to know from Janus though... how much will the PC's know about the lair beforehand? (Have it about 2/3's done, just need to fix up a few things).

Last edited:

zero skill LPB

First Post
PCs know about the lair?

That would depend on whether or not there's a rogue that's willing to scout it out or a 'caster willing to do that Scry thing, no?

I wanna see the play-by-play after it goes down.

:D

Wippit Guud

First Post
Well, unless they plan on a scry/teleport (and I have stuff against that already), then I'll know they're coming before they get to the lair.

And depeding on the 4 classes, I think I can take 4 PCs... there's a few which may give me problems (not naming classes), but then I just target them first :)

I'm also just about ready to go, do we have 4 victims yet? :)

buzzard

First Post
I'm willing to give and archer or melee person a shot, so count me in if there's a slot.

As for the anti-magic shell, and DR, I don't believe it works that way. If it does, it's way too big a loophole.

buzzard

Wippit Guud

First Post
I've looked at the uses for anti-magic shell... dragons who are high enough level to cast it are bigger than the radius of the shell, so it has no effect.

Jemal

Adventurer
We need 1 more PC. You should probably edit the title of the thread to that effect, instead of "Need 4 players and a DM", it could read "1 more Victim required for hazardous dragon hunt"

;)
OH and I don't suppose Sollir could be our 4th, eh? I remember someone somewhere saying that he could take out a 20th lvl wizard with a 1st lvl commoner. :D hehe.. j/k.

Anyways, working on my own character now. I so SERIOUSLY want to take a tank, but going 1 on 1 with the dragon isn't exactly a good idea. Then again give him room and he'll blast us.
GARGH!!! I like it better on the other side of the GM screen, where all dragons do what I say. ;)

Say.. These 20 lvls we get.. were we allowed Templates? Hehe.. Half dragon son of the dragon who wants to kill dady just sounds fun, but that's not why I'm asking... seriously, can we use templates? And if so are we running off CR or ECL?
Also perhaps we should discuss the rest of our characters via E-mail to not give the Dragon such a big advantage. Even a concept here is going to tell him what to protect against.

And if we take Leadership do we play our own Cohort or does someone else play them?
(I wouldn't suggest even worrying about Followers.. with that Dragon fear? 1 roar and they'd all be tripping over themselves (and US!!!) to get away.

EDIT : Do we have any XP over the 20th lvl requisite of 190,000? I'm just wondering so any of the spellcasters will be able to make items with it, or cast Permancy on stuff, or casting any of the other spells which require XP...

Last edited:

Janos Audron

Explorer
Yes, I will allow templates. Use ECL from here

You will be allowed to play your own cohort.

No, you will not have any XP over 20th level. You could, however, gate or planar bind something before you go and kill the dragon.

I think it is a good idea to mail eachother. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads