• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3G: More than Pen and Paper

In its simplest form, D&D is a pen-and-paper game. The DM has notes for the adventure, the players have character sheets, and changes are recorded as play progresses. You don’t really need dice, if you trust the DM to arbitrate random outcomes. Heck, the DM doesn’t even need notes, if he or she is brave enough to make the story up as it unfolds. Very few of us, however, play with just pen...

In its simplest form, D&D is a pen-and-paper game. The DM has notes for the adventure, the players have character sheets, and changes are recorded as play progresses. You don’t really need dice, if you trust the DM to arbitrate random outcomes. Heck, the DM doesn’t even need notes, if he or she is brave enough to make the story up as it unfolds.

Very few of us, however, play with just pen and paper. We all have our favorite accessories that make the game easier, more enjoyable, more memorable, and a “better” gaming experience. I put that in quotes because what I like to use you may not, and vice versa. No one particular play style is better than another, and no particular set of dice or miniatures makes a game better than any other – they’re just different.

But we all do have our favorites, so I’ll run through some of mine. These are the things I use on a regular basis, game after game. Given my druthers, I’d want them were I to run a game, and I’d feel out-of-sync if I didn’t have them.

Wet/Dry Erase Board
I have one that measures 18” x 24”, and I hang it on the wall next to my seat at the dining room table whenever I’m running a game. I use Expo wet erase Vis-à-vis markers and the magnets from my GameMastery Combat Pad (http://www.openmindgames.com/omg_products.htm see below). If the players know it, I put it on the board.

GameMastery Combat Pad
I love this thing, and the magnets that come with it. I even bought an extra pack of magnets for bigger battles. Characters and creatures get their own magnets, and initiative goes on another. If someone delays or readies an action, is surprised, or jumps into the battle late, it’s easy enough to shuffle the magnets around and keep everyone in line for initiative. Although I don’t use it as intended any more, it’s still an essential part of my game. If the players DON’T know something that’s happening, it goes on the combat pad.

Battle Mat
My mat is from Chessex, and it has a preprinted 1” grid on one side. I draw out the majority of my maps to save time, and because I could never afford Dwarven Forge accessories. Strangely shaped rooms, irregular tunnels and caverns, and the like are all easier to reproduce freehand than try to find some way to finagle the current tiles on the market. I own the dungeon tiles by Wizards of the Coast, but issues with sorting and finding what I want when I need it have meant they usually stay in the box.

Miniatures
Whenever possible, I like a visual representation of a creature or character. I don’t dictate what the players use to portray their characters, but I like to use Wizards of the Coast’s pre-painted plastic miniatures for most things in my game. Paizo’s put out some good minis in the last few years, and I have some of them as well (I’ve raved about their Huge black dragon in a past article). I’ve also scrounged up Heroscape miniatures that mesh well with D&D and use them.

Tokens
If I don’t have a miniature, I use a token. I use the tokens from Wizards of the Coast’s D&D Starter Set, the Monster Vault, and The Shadowfell: Gloomwrought and Beyond. If I can’t find an appropriate one from those sets and I have the time, I make one using RPTools TokenTool (http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=downloads#TokenTool). If I have color ink, I take the time to glue it to a cardboard backer and save it; otherwise, I print it in black and white and toss it when it gets mangled.

Heroscape: Fortress of the Archkyrie
Right after Heroscape was cancelled but before the prices skyrocketed, I managed to pick up this expansion from Toys ‘r Us. I have little use for the hexagonal tiles, but the castle walls, turrets, gate, and crenelations have been invaluable for portraying castles, gatehouses, and fortresses in my campaigns. They sure beat just drawing lines on the battle mat, and the black dragon miniature looks sweet perched on a castle tower!

Bendy Dungeon Walls
These are a great product I picked up at Gen Con back in 2007. The hinges haven’t held up over the years, but the bases allow the wall sections to remain standing and provide quick set up and takedown. These are made by Dark-Platypus Studio (http://dark-platypus.com), who also make the next product.

Dungeon Clings
These clings by Dark-Platypus stick to the battle mat and make it quick and easy to designate stairs, a triggered pit trap, or pepper an area with trees, bushes, and boulders. I seriously wish a bunch more adventuring staples could be produced as clings, like furniture, wagons, statues, doors, columns, fountains…I would buy them in a heartbeat. Anything that makes it faster to throw together a map is a boon in my mind.

Heroquest
I cannibalized this game for the cool doors, tables, chairs, bookcases, weapons rack, fireplace, and altar to use for D&D. Made of plastic and full-color cardboard, they’re gorgeous pieces I wish could be marketed just by themselves. I also use the skeletons from the game from time to time, as I’ve never really been happy with any of the skeleton miniatures on the market.

Dice
I include dice here because I use them, but they’re not an earth-shattering deal breaker for me. I like lots of dice (the more the merrier), but I go for utility over beauty (but both is always better). As long as there’s a good contrast between the color of the dice and the numbers, they’re good for me. (Must be my old age.) I still have a few of the old, old dice from original box set where I have to color in the numbers with a crayon…I love those dice. The others I could take or leave, as the case may be.

And that’s pretty much what I use during my game sessions. I have one more product I’ve bought but not gotten to use yet – Dwarven Forge’s Game Tiles! I never could afford their original product, but the kickstarter came at just the right time for me to get in at two sets, and now there are a ton of add-ons. They’re due out to backers in October, and I hope they’re as awesome as they looked.

What gaming accoutrements can you not live without? How have you repurposed items from other games for your RPGs? What recommendations do you have for gaming accessories on a budget? Leave a comment and let me know!

Good gaming!

Ahnehnois

First Post
I guess I use plain battlegrids and improvised counters on rare occasions. Sometimes someone will look something up on a smartphone. And I've got reference books, character sheets, pens, and dice. But I try to avoid distractions, and I minimize my paraphernalia. The game is about the people.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm with you on the Gammastery pad. That things gets so much use.

I still haven't found apps that uuseful. They're just not quite accessible enough on an iPad. To use the dice roller you have to close the PDF you're looking at then open he dice roller app, then close the dice roller app and re-open the PDF. And hen you need to look at another PDF, and unlike books you can't just lay out so or three open on the pages you need. You have to close each PDF and open each one separately as you need them. And so on. You'd need multiple iPads!

Mike Eagling

Explorer
I agree about the limitations of the iPad. I've become a complete PDF convert since owning my tablet but only insofar as an initial rules read-through or for background products. I can't see myself trying to actually DM from one.

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
I agree about the limitations of the iPad. I've become a complete PDF convert since owning my tablet but only insofar as an initial rules read-through or for background products. I can't see myself trying to actually DM from one.

I have DMed from my iPad -- it was a little tricky at first, but it works out all right. The trick is that you can't really use the iPad for more than one thing at a time -- so, if you're using it for stat blocks or encounter reference, you're going to want something else for looking up rules and powers something else to track conditions, etc. Using the iPad is easy -- using JUST the iPad would be pretty difficult.

Still, at the table I prefer paper --especially for that sort of stat block and encounter information. But, then, I'm an old man, with old habits.....

-rg

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
I'm with you on the Gammastery pad. That things gets so much use.

I still haven't found apps that uuseful. They're just not quite accessible enough on an iPad. To use the dice roller you have to close the PDF you're looking at then open he dice roller app, then close the dice roller app and re-open the PDF. And hen you need to look at another PDF, and unlike books you can't just lay out so or three open on the pages you need. You have to close each PDF and open each one separately as you need them. And so on. You'd need multiple iPads!

It's interesting that we accept that the gamemastery pad is used for one thing (which it does well for a lot of people), but when we start talking about the iPad we have an expectation that because it can do so many different things (and because it's a whole lot more expensive than the Gamemastery pad) we are disappointed because it doesn't allow us to do everything at the same time.

A good PDF reader will have the ability to have multiple PDFs open in tabs, that might help with the PDF switching you mentioned. And, while it's not quite as facile as just reaching over and picking up a different tool, if you get used to using the iOS multitasking commands, you may find that switching between apps is a little easier (double click the home button -- that brings up a slider menu in the bottom of the screen of the apps you've used most recently. So switching from one app to another can be a matter of a double click and a tap (if the other app has been used recently). That can be just about as quick as reaching for a different sourcebook or tool -- but you still can be using them both at the exact same time, so it's still definitely a limiting factor.

-rg

Mike Eagling

Explorer
using JUST the iPad would be pretty difficult.

Yeah, it was this I was really thinking of here. I've not, yet, but can imagine having it to hand for quickly looking things up in books I don't immediately have to hand. Thanks to Dropbox and my growing collection of PDFs I can now carry an entire bookshelf around in, if not my pocket, a small bag.

When I first started playing AD&D at school I used to lug around half a dozen rules manuals and a ring binder; that was without all the schoolbooks. An iPad back then would have been a godsend!

Still, at the table I prefer paper --especially for that sort of stat block and encounter information. But, then, I'm an old man, with old habits.....

Believe me, you're not alone! :D

CreeperJR

First Post
I built a small initiative tracker (basically a strip of wood with a slot in it). I place cards for each PC/monster in order of initiative. I keep monster stats on the cards, so it can reduce clutter. I don't like having a screen or other high things between me and the players or map, so it works well for me.

I had never seen the clings before. Those would be pretty useful.

delericho

Legend
I spend my days working in front of a computer, so I tend to avoid adding technology to my leisure pursuits. I use a PC for preparation, but not at the table.

I have, on occasion, made use of whiteboards, a battlemat, and minis and/or tokens, but these have all gradually fallen by the wayside.

The only 'non-standard' thing that I use is a box of poker chips that we use to represent Action Points (3e style). Other than that, it's books, paper, pencils, and dice. A couple of my players use either an iPhone or iPad for SRD lookups, but that's all. And I don't use a DM's screen.

Gilladian

Adventurer
I use a battlemat and wet-erase markers. I have a batch of old legos, trees from various diorama suppliers, and bunches of plastic miniature animals. I also use polymer clay (aka super sculpey, but never sculpey III or cheap store brand because it breaks too easily) to make my own minis. I've made trees, bushes (a marbled green clay sheet formed in a circle with a 1" diameter makes a great "bush" that can hold a mini), treasure chests, tables, campfires, etc...

I love the idea of the clings! I'd buy packs of them in a flash.

I use my ipad for things I want to look up and pass out to the PCs; portraits of npcs, or paintings of environments I've found on google images. It works better than my 2nd monitor on a swing-arm. I DM from my PC a LOT; mostly because I've been using the Dungeon-a-day dungeon for several years, and it is all online. Also my campaign is on a wiki. I do not use apps during my game, much if at all.

I have an initiative tracker; it's a strip of corkboard in a plastic holder with numbers written down the side; I give each PC and each NPC/monster group a plastic thumbtack; PCs are all white with their initial on them; monsters are solid or translucent colors with numbers on the top. It has worked for me for 20 years or so!

Voidrunner's Codex

Related Articles

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads