• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Whirlwind Attack & Cleave

RigaMortus

Explorer
Any changes to WWA? Specifically, can you attack further than 5' if you have an appropriate Reach weapon or are you still required to only attack creatures within 5' feet of you?

Also, did they clarify Cleave/Great Cleave at all? Specifically...

A) Did they mention you could get a Cleave/Great Cleave if you kill an opponent with an AoO?

B) Did they reword Cleave at all? It used to be that you could Cleave someone if you "drop" them with a melee attack. "Dropping" someone may not necessarily mean killing them, even though I think that was the intent of the feat. You could, for example, have a Sword of Spell Storing and have a "Sleep" spell activated in it, attack an opponent, damage them (but not kill them), have Sleep discharge, have them fall asleep which effectively "drops" them, then Cleave to someone next to them. Just want to see if this part was clarified or not...

Vurt

First Post
I don't have the revised PHB, but I think someone posted the gist of the new WWA. Now, please don't hit me if this turns out to be wrong, my memory can be half-baked at times, but...

IIRC, Whirlwind Attack can now attack anyone within reach, and it can not be used in conjunction with other feats. So cleaving on a Whirlwind Attack is right out.

Cheers,
Vurt

EDIT: Reference Olger Shiverstone's Compiled 3.5 Revisions thread, under feats

Last edited:

Remove ads