• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Whip. Hows it work now?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Eric said it's medium. In 3e, it was small.

Careful, he's using 3.5 terminology.

In 3.5, a Medium dagger is not a dagger sized for a Huge creature, it's a dagger sized for a Medium creature (ie, the equivalent of a 3.0 Tiny dagger). A Medium greatsword is a greatsword sized for a Medium creature (ie, the equivalent of a 3.0 Large greatsword).

So a Medium whip could still be a light weapon, the equivalent of the 3.0 Small whip...

-Hyp.

melkoriii

First Post
EricNoah said:
A Medium whip does 1d3 subdual (oops, sorry, "nonlethal") damage. It is treated as a melee weapon with a 15' reach; however using it provokes an AoO as if you were using a ranged weapon. You can use Weapon Finesse with a whip. Otherwise pretty much the same.

Thanks Eric

More questions though.

So it loses the Ranged weapon advantages but keeps the disadvantages!??

Ya that was a good fix.

I take it that Mighty Whips are gone and you can use the Cleave feat.

Looks like the Lasher is still the only way anyone will use a Whip as a main weapon.

Why didnt they change it to a reach weapon that threatens 10'-15' but not 5'. Then the Lasher PrCl would add something but not be the only why to make the whip viable.

I was hopeing for more froim 3.5 in this matter. :(

Belbarrus

First Post
Wow, the 3.5 whip really sucks even more than before. Even though it is considered a melee weapon, it has the penalties of a ranged weapon (provokes an AOO to use) and doesnt get benefits of a melee weapon (doesnt threaten an area).

I guess if you lose the '-4 for attacking an opponent engages in melee' is a good thing and being able to use melee feats like Cleave and Whirlwind is good. I dont see why it doesnt threaten an area though....

Tellerve

my guess would be that with a full sized 15' bullwhip it is quite hard to hit someone right next to you. Especially since the snap of a whip is what does the damage and to get said snap you need room for the momentum to transfer down the whip. Watch indian jones, he doesn't use a whip on anybody close to him. Or practice with friends, its fun :) Just make sure you have something covering your face as you wouldn't wanna explode an eyeball with an errant whip snap.

Tellerve

p.s. i was kidding about trying out the bullwhip with friends, in case people didn't get that.

Last edited:

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Hey! TWF and ITWF! My dual whip wielding half-ogre Lasher is back baby!

EDIT: f33r Large and in Charge

Andargor

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Hey! TWF and ITWF! My dual whip wielding half-ogre Lasher is back baby!

EDIT: f33r Large and in Charge

I don't think so... Large and in Charge works on a successful AoO, and 3.5 whips don't threaten...

I'll also be interested to see if the Cleave wording has been tidied up. If they've changed "in the immediate vicinity" to "an opponent you threaten", you won't be able to Cleave with a whip...

-Hyp.

melkoriii

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

I don't think so... Large and in Charge works on a successful AoO, and 3.5 whips don't threaten...

I'll also be interested to see if the Cleave wording has been tidied up. If they've changed "in the immediate vicinity" to "an opponent you threaten", you won't be able to Cleave with a whip...

-Hyp.

Looks like they will need to errata the whip (fix again) or it will be rule 0ed by many.

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Hypersmurf said:

True, but again the Half-Ogre has a natural reach of 10' and the Lasher can threaten 5' with the whip "as if it were a melee weapon". The same old question again. However, since it's a melee weapon now in 3.5, the Half-Ogre Lasher will at least be able to threaten 10' with the whip.

Andargor

HellHound

ENnies winner and NOT Scrappy Doo
Honestly, I don't mind the whip NOT being an effective weapon.

There is a reason it was not used as a weapon historically, but instead as a tool for training, disciplining and intimidation. It just plain ISN'T effective in combat.

The whip-dagger from Sword and Fist makes the whip nearly useable as a weapon. Especially now that it is a melee weapon and therefore applies your strength bonus to damage without having to be a mighty whip-dagger.

MarauderX

Explorer
So... lemme get this straight... there are sizes to weapons based on critter size? Such as medium Medium weapons? So anything a halfling uses is a Small weapon, and once his human buddy picks it up it becomes a Medium weapon, one catagory 'smaller'? How confusing is it going to be???;)

Remove ads