• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Tumbling

Camarath

Pale Master Tarrasque
It seems clear to me that "at one-half speed" means that tumbling movement counts against your speed twice as much non-tumbling movement does (i.e. every 5ft of tumbling movement is worth 10ft of non-tumbling movement). I think that as "part of normal movement" means that tumbling may be freely interspersed with normal movement. For example I think a character with 30ft movement could move 5ft normally (5), tumble 5ft (5+10=15), move 5ft normally (15+5=20), and tumble 5ft again (20+10+30) as their move action. I see no limit on how much of your movement may be used for tumbling other than your speed and your ability to make the increasingly difficult tumble checks.

mikebr99

Explorer
Camarath said:
It seems clear to me that "at one-half speed" means that tumbling movement counts against your speed twice as much non-tumbling movement does (i.e. every 5ft of tumbling movement is worth 10ft of non-tumbling movement). I think that as "part of normal movement" means that tumbling may be freely interspersed with normal movement. For example I think a character with 30ft movement could move 5ft normally (5), tumble 5ft (5+10=15), move 5ft normally (15+5=20), and tumble 5ft again (20+10+30) as their move action. I see no limit on how much of your movement may be used for tumbling other than your speed and your ability to make the increasingly difficult tumble checks.
I'll agree with that... that is why this:
Accelerated Tumbling: You try to tumble past or through enemies more quickly than normal. By accepting a –10 penalty on your Tumble checks, you can move at your full speed instead of one-half your speed.
is in the rules.

YMMV

Mike

ps. By far the best incarnation of Tumble to date. ;)

Last edited:

Joshua McKee

Villager
Hmm I always viewed tumbling the same as moving on difficult terrain reducing the distance in which you normally move by half. I say this since you are technically tumbling you do not have constant vision and logically a tumble is never a straight line. So for all intents and purposes My DM would allow tumble as a move but no more than half the available movement you have; but not including modified in one go( i.e. if you double your land speed to a 60 up from 30 you can still only tumble a max of 15 feet) My DM would say "ok -2 compound penalty for every 5 additional foot increment" This way no player in her games could break the game and be forced to press their luck and mess up because they got greedy.

Remove ads