• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Ranger but with d10. How to balance?

That link doesn't seem to be working, Galethorn.

Still hoping to get some comments on this:

1. Drop all spells
2. Boost HD to d10.
3. Add Secrets of the Wild.

SECRETS OF THE WILD [Class feature, ranger]

By studying the ways of wild animals, rangers can learn a few of their tricks.
Choose one of the following abilities upon reaching fourth level:
• Watchful as the Hawk. A fourth level ranger with 7 ranks of Knowledge (Nature) gains a bonus of +1 to Spot rolls for detecting hidden enemies in a natural setting. At eighth level, with 11 ranks of Knowledge (Nature), the bonus increases to +2; at twelfth level (15 ranks), +3; at sixteenth level (19 ranks), +4; and at 20th level (23 ranks), +5.
• Tenacious as the Wolf. A fourth level ranger with 7 ranks of Knowledge (Nature) gains +1 bonus to Survival rolls for recovering a lost trail (i.e., re-trying a failed tracking attempt). At eighth level, with 11 ranks of Knowledge (Nature), the bonus increases to +2; at twelfth level (15 ranks), +3; at sixteenth level (19 ranks), +4; and at 20th level (23 ranks), +5.
• Stealthy as the Fox. A fourth level ranger with 7 ranks of Knowledge (Nature) gains a +1 bonus to Move Silently checks when moving in a natural setting. At eighth level, with 11 ranks of Knowledge (Nature), the bonus increases to +2; at twelfth level (15 ranks), +3; at sixteenth level (19 ranks), +4; and at 20th level (23 ranks), +5.
• Spry as the Deer. A fourth level ranger with 7 ranks of Knowledge (Nature) gains a +1 bonus to Initiative checks in a natural setting. At eighth level, with 11 ranks of Knowledge (Nature), the bonus increases to +2; at twelfth level (15 ranks), +3; at sixteenth level (19 ranks), +4; and at 20th level (23 ranks), +5.

Jack Daniel

dice-universe.blogspot.com
Rangers have always had spells. I could never have the heart to drop them. Here's my fix:
  • Raise hit die to d10.
  • Lower Reflex save to poor.
  • Lower skill points to 4 + Int / level.
  • Restore the ranger's Medium Armor Proficiency.
That's the basic, balanced way to change it. To put the flavor back into the class, I personally had to go further.
  • Level 2: Replace Combat Style with Bonus Feat (Two-Weapon Fighting, Combat Expertise, Power Attack, Mounted Combat, or Precise Shot)
  • Level 6: Replace Improved Combat Style with Bonus Feat (Skill Focus or Improved Two-Weapon Fighting)
  • Level 9: Replace Evasion with Canny Initiative (Int bonus to initiative rolls)
  • Level 11: Replace Combat Style Mastery with Bonus Feat (Skill Focus or Greater Two-Weapon Fighting)
  • Level 17: Replace Hide in Plain Sight with Special Ability (Skill Mastery or Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting)

Last edited:

Remove ads