• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Mounted Combat, Where is the Rider?

Otterscrubber

First Post
I'm curious, I know that it states creatures that take up more than a 5x5 will now take up squares such as a horse taking up 10x10 rather than a 10x5, but where will the rider be located? In my current campaign it is alreay painful with my paladin on the back of the horse, I cant wait to see how they rule this one.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I have a vague memory of seeing a quote suggesting that anyone who threatens the horse threatens you - while mounted, you effectively gain a 10x10 face.

But I could be wrong on that one.

-Hyp.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Hypersmurf said:
I have a vague memory of seeing a quote suggesting that anyone who threatens the horse threatens you - while mounted, you effectively gain a 10x10 face.

But I could be wrong on that one.

-Hyp.

I believe you mean 10x5 in this case, or same as the mount?

Pax

Banned
Banned
Mark said:
I believe you mean 10x5 in this case, or same as the mount?

No, he means 10x10. In 3.5E, all facings will be square -- a horse (10x5 in 3.0) will have a 10x10 facing under revision rules.

Which only makes sense, since a 10x5 facing CLEARLY implies that two of the sides are just that -- the horse's sides -- meaning the other two have to be it's front and back.

Of course, the problem there is, 3E has no rules for which way is your FRONT vs which way is your BACK. Thus, non-square facings were problems; that "long side" could as easily be the horse's FRONT as it's side -- which challenges players' suspension of disbelief, disrupting the flow of the game.

Remove ads