• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Exactly how does Call Lightening Work Now?

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Hardhead said:
What's bizzare - to my mind - is that Flaming Sphere deals 2d6 damage and only takes a move action to move around. And it's only 2nd level. So, for the trade up to 3rd level, you only get one extra d6 *and* it takes a standard action instead of a move? Doesn't sound like a good deal to me.

Call lightning has three further (albeit minor) advantages:
1) Its long duration means you probably won't waste shots with it: if you finish a battle with 4 lightning bolts left, you'll probably be able to carry them over to the next battle. Flaming sphere ends much faster, meaning you're less likely to be able to carry it over.
2) Save for half damage, not save negates.
3) Although you'll rarely get to use this advantage, it's an area-effect attack. Useful against mounted riders and sometimes against flying creatures.

Daniel

Christian

Explorer
1. The longer duration of Call Lightning means increased total damage over the duration of the spell. 2. The Flaming Sphere has a limited movement rate-if your target moves too far, or you want to switch to another target that's too far away, you lose out on some total damage potential. 3. The Reflex save negates the damage of a Flaming Sphere, but only halves the damage of Call Lightning. Call Lightning is a significantly superior spell.

[edit]Ha! You may have beat me to the punch, Pielorinho, but you missed the movement issue![/edit]

Last edited:

Remove ads