• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 Druid: No weapon restrictions?

Nareau

Explorer
Apok said:
Very good change, though the fact that Druids can use metal weapons but not metal armor doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I guess they needed to have some kind of restriction and that was what they went with.

I'm thinking that they did this because of the new DR system. If druids couldn't use metal weapons, they'd be SOL when fighting demons, etc.

But yeah, I agree that it doesn't seem very consistent within the game world.

Spider

Pickaxe

Explorer
My only concern is that this makes elf the slam-dunk race for druids. The previous rule sort of discouraged elven druids, because they would essentially lose one of their racial features (the weapon proficiencies, at least until they got Ironwood). Given that elves seem like a druid-friendly race, this seemed paradoxical. Now, it will be hard to give up those bow proficiencies (not to mention longsword) in order to be another race (at least a non-human one).

--Axe

youspoonybard

First Post
In 3.0, Druids needed feats. Humans helped that.

Elves still have the -2 con. For a possible frontliner, that's a big deal.

Gnomes or Dwarfs still "mesh" with the Druid class better, IMO.

maddman75

First Post
IMC, I houseruled this away almost immediately along with the favored race nonsense. One of my players wanted an elvish druid/ranger. I don't consider this a munchy character or out of character for a typical fantasy warrior. Along with some deepwood sniper levels he almost plays like an oldschool elf - good with a bow, nature spells, but less sturdy than a regular warrior. These rules only inhibited interesting characters, so I ditched them.

The elf druid using a bow or longsword doesn't make him feel undruidic IMO.

Raflar

First Post
I house ruled the Druid weapon list in 3.0 and will probably keep it. IMC Druids can use any weapon made of natural materials (wood, stone, bone etc..) and any weapon (metal included) that holds the shape of a cresent moon (bows, scimitars, scythes etc..)

It's worked really well with respects to holding their own with the fighters..

smetzger

Explorer
Spider said:

I'm thinking that they did this because of the new DR system. If druids couldn't use metal weapons, they'd be SOL when fighting demons, etc.

But yeah, I agree that it doesn't seem very consistent within the game world.

Spider

They could always use metal weapons. What do you think a Scimitar is made of? What do you think a sling bullet is made of?
What do you think most spearheads are made out of?

IMO they should have also lifted the armor restriction and replaced it with a spell failure for metal armor.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Pickaxe said:
My only concern is that this makes elf the slam-dunk race for druids.

I don't see a problem with it myself because the D&D Elf and the Druid class go together like peanut butter and jelly.

However, I wouldn't call it the only choice worth taking, nor the most obvious. The most obvious choice for a druid is still a halfling or gnome to me, because Wildshaping still eliminates their toughest penalty - that of small size. A halfling druid can do tremendous damage and confusion with their spell power, and when needed to wade into combat, can shape into a black bear or larger animal at higher levels, and do serious physical harm.

ForceUser

Explorer
DreamChaser said:

Which begs the question, why should druids be able to hold their own with fighters in combat?

DC
Word. Every single-class druid I've seen in 3E stopped relying on melee combat around 7th-level or so anyway, thus making the whole weapon choice thing largely irrelevant.

LordAO

First Post
Thank the Gods! The Druidic weapon restrictions was one of the most absurd rules I had ever seen in a game. I'm glad to see that D&D is finally letting some of its sacred cows die.

Now if only they will allow Paladins of any good alignment...

Remove ads