• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Damage Rduction Rules - am i missing something?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
kreynolds said:

Boy I hope not. I really like the idea of DR 10/bane holy cold iron bob thursday. You know, the kind where only bane holy cold iron weapons wielded by Bob on Thursdays can bypass it? :D

That explains it! In a 3.5 rumor, I saw a new spell called "Newname" which gives you someone else's name for one minute per level. In retrospect, it's obviously for named weapons.

In addition, have you seen the DR 5/ballet dancing entry? Apparently, it's someone's idea of how to make the bard more useful; you can't get through the monster's DR unless you're dancing on tip-toe. Kind of innovative, I think. :D

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Piratecat said:

That explains it! In a 3.5 rumor, I saw a new spell called "Newname" which gives you someone else's name for one minute per level. In retrospect, it's obviously for named weapons.

In addition, have you seen the DR 5/ballet dancing entry? Apparently, it's someone's idea of how to make the bard more useful; you can't get through the monster's DR unless you're dancing on tip-toe. Kind of innovative, I think. :D

I saw that in the PHB and DMG draft docs (dont have the MM draft doc yet). Its right after the "DR 5/Simon Says" entry which requires the monster in question to give you permission ("Simon says") before you can actually bypass its DR.

Benben

First Post
kreynolds said:

Boy I hope not. I really like the idea of DR 10/bane holy cold iron bob thursday. You know, the kind where only bane holy cold iron weapons wielded by Bob on Thursdays can bypass it? :D

Kind of ridiculous, but the idea that a creature is weaker during certain times of the year or during some evironmental effect has a fairy tale quality that I like.

Say: DR 15/-- unless bathed in the light of a full moon in which case DR 0/--.

Researching that sort of breach to the DR rule could make a fine adventure, or give the Bard something else to do with the lore ability.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Piratecat said:
Incidentally, I think "holysilver" is "holy or silver." I'll be surprised if that isn't the case.
I'm pretty sure I've read that "DR 15/holy silver" means a weapon that is both holy and silver. If a monster can be hurt by either type it would have "DR 15/holy, silver" (note the comma).

I think this was in the Dragon article, though I wouldn't bet my life on it.

Spatzimaus

First Post
Shard O'Glase said:
If a +1 can penetrate Dr just as well as a +5(excpet for damage) its not enarly as valuable as it was before.

Well, it still has +1 attack, +1 damage, sets the Sunder threshold higher, and adds 1 to the item's HP and Hardness. Plus, it's the only enchantment that stacks with itself and has no spell prerequisite, so anyone with the Feat can make it.
The DR-bypassing may have been useful before, but I never thought it was the primary reason to take an Enhancement bonus. That's why Sure Striking was only a +1 cost.

It should be interesting to see.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Piratecat said:
Incidentally, I think "holysilver" is "holy or silver." I'll be surprised if that isn't the case.

I rather think that it's holy and silver.

kreynolds said:

Well, only go out on thursdays and Bob's your uncle.

No, really I don't like that: it will result in masses of powergamers that name their characters bob.

kreynolds

First Post
Benben said:
Kind of ridiculous, but the idea that a creature is weaker during certain times of the year or during some evironmental effect has a fairy tale quality that I like.

D20 Modern really expands on the idea of researchable weaknesses. It's pretty slick, and something I've used in my FRCS games from time to time.

Remove ads