• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 2E [2e] Weapon Damage

PolterGhost

First Post
I'm highly confused with this weapon damage chart in the PHB. Some weapons deal less damage when Larger than Medium or Small, and some weapons do absurd, illogical damage (A broadsword deals 2d4 damage, just like a two-handed bastard sword? And a khopesh does as much as both of them?)

Is it supposed to be this way? Did the editor really suck at his job? Were TSR insane?

I'm highly confused with this weapon damage chart in the PHB. Some weapons deal less damage when Larger than Medium or Small, and some weapons do absurd, illogical damage (A broadsword deals 2d4 damage, just like a two-handed bastard sword? And a khopesh does as much as both of them?)

Is it supposed to be this way? Did the editor really suck at his job? Were TSR insane?
Is it supposed to be this way? Yes.

The reason for the different damage levels is the notion that some weapons will be more/less effective depending on the size of the victim. Generally, shorter, smaller weapons will do less relative damage to large opponents. Longer, larger, heavier weapons will do more damage to large opponents because they can hit harder, penetrate deeper, and generally take full advantage of their size compared to the enemy. It is often counter-intuitive (as are many elements of older editions) but it does have logic behind it and works just fine.

PolterGhost

First Post
Ah, I must have missed that. I didn't realize that there was a category for the weapon's actual size and a category for how much damage a weapon does to various tagets.

Still doesn't explain how a broadsword deals as much damage as a khopesh deals as much damage as a two handed bastard sword, though I suppose that's balanced out by the weapons doing various ranges of damage to larger targets.

I kind of wanted to get this all sorted out since I'm going to be running my first 2e game over the interwebs with a few friends from irl, so knowing the rules ahead of time can help, especially when I want the game to run nice and smoothly with very little "Can I do this? What about this? What does this mean?" I plan on running everyone through the Temple of Elemental Evil, so it should be good times.

Last edited:

Luce

Explorer
Straight blades, like longsword, are design for trusting. For man-sized adn smaller creatures there is a possibility that you run trough a target. That means that part of your force is wasted. Now if you are trusting into something several feet across, like a giant, you can achieve larger trauma. An effect seen in resent times in bullet wounds. A projectile can go trough a target and still have unspent energy, which did not go into inflicting damage. As mentioned before, some shorter weapons were considered to be less effective vs larger opponents since they would have trouble reaching vital organs.
Slashing weapons like the khopesh (a battle axe sword) are made to open nice big gashes or even cutting off appendages. Imagine you swing a saber and cut a 1/2 inch stick, now using the same force cut into 2 by 4. More damage occurs.
I also like to point out that unlike western weapons, less time was spend into detailing other culture's martial heritage. A typical knopesh is 20-24 inches, but both smaller and larger examples exist. We cannot be sure on which the damage was based. Same applies to many weapons, a dagger can be 30 inches.
Last but not least, lets remember that while the authors try to base things to reality and apply logic, the game is not meant to be a complete or fully accurate representation of the universe as we know it. By that I do not mean the OP question was not good, just an attempt to prevent this discussion from denigrating into physics back argument of why weapon X is better at Z then weapon Y. Thank you and have a nice day.

frankthedm

First Post
While there is some logic to the damage difference, it was one of the reasons non swords were second class weapons. The second reason being magical swords were more common in random allocations and over represented on the special weapon listings.

Sekhmet

First Post
I also like to point out that unlike western weapons, less time was spend into detailing other culture's martial heritage. A typical knopesh is 20-24 inches, but both smaller and larger examples exist. We cannot be sure on which the damage was based. Same applies to many weapons, a dagger can be 30 inches.

A Khopesh is is 20-24 inches, as you said. Longer and shorter variations are no longer called Khopeshi, though, they have individual names, such as the Falcata.
A dagger is 9-12 inches. Longer and shorter variations also have different names, such as the long knife and short sword.

For standard, English style swords, the classification goes; knife, long knife, dagger, short sword, middle sword, long sword, bastard sword, two handed sword.

Also, to the person who mentioned above a "two handed bastard sword", such a weapon does not exist. All bastard swords are hand-and-a-half swords, meaning that they may be used with either one or two hands as situation fits.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
He was referring to the fact that the chart has different damage dice for bastard swords depending on if the weapon is used one or two handed, not that there is a one handed and a two handed bastard sword.

Jhaelen

First Post
Straight blades, like longsword, are design for trusting.
That's not really true. What is true is that curved blades are _not_ designed for thrusting.

Some of the early swords were used like metal clubs, they weren't actually sharp enough to cut through anything. Straight blades designed for thrusting were usually the ones with thin blades. Straight, broad-bladed swords were more often used for slashing.

Additionally, two-handed swords cannot really be used effectively to thrust, except to finish off a downed foe.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads