• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 2E 2E Opinions

Pig Champion

First Post
Hey guys, I've just introduced my girlfriend to Spelljammer via another thread and she really wants to give it ago. After looking around at 2E I'm not sure which set of core books to pick up, the originals or the revised editions with the black covers.

I'm just wondering which one people think is better or how they differ, if at all.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
This thread title could get some intresting posts...

There is also probably some 2E retro clone. I know I have seen references to such. (and yes, you could also use 1E or OSIRIC or Labrynth Lord with the advanced book).

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Yeah, black spine (revised) or original PHB and DMG doesn't matter much. The black spined version has errata and a different layout (I heard they recently acquired desktop publishing software for that version, whereas the first version was done with the old scissors & tape layout method), but I would definitely go with the Monstrous Manual over the binders.

Now, I thought the binders were the shizzle when they first came out (I even voted for them in the 2nd ed. survey WAAAAY back in Dragon issue 124 or some such), but with use, the pages would pull out, and finding the supplements now are probably a frickin' nightmare.

Sadly, that means some of the supplements are probably lost to the ages, so IF you can find the Spelljammer Monstrous Compendium supplement, buy it, but make your main source the Monstrous Manual. Of course, one of the only monsters I remember from the supplement is the Giant Miniature Space Hamster, so your mileage may vary.

You have to ask yourself, can you live without the FIRE-BREATHING Giant Miniature Space Hamster?

Uder

First Post
I recommend the revised over the original 2e books. The new layout was much easier (for me) to read and reference. There are still errors, but the majority have been corrected (they were also corrected in later printings of the originals, but that's hard to distinguish if you're buying online). The crappy little blue line art bits are also gone and there is new full color artwork throughout.

I'll agree with everyone else though - The Monstrous Manual is handier than the loose-leaf compendiums. AFAIK there is no difference between the white cover and black border cover Monstrous Manual. I'd also add in the Planescape Monstrous Compendium vol 1 as a "must have." The other Planescape Compendiums and the four MC Annuals add a lot of useful monsters as well.

Remove ads