• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 2E 2e: how many spells can a cleric use?

pwnedd

First Post
Hi all,

I am looking into running a 2e campaign, and going through the rules to make sure I got the hang of everything.

One thing I wanted to make sure of it how many spells a cleric can pray for/memorize and have ready for combat at a given time.

For example, a lvl 1 cleric with wisdom 17 has three spells (1 + 2 bonus spells). Can he use all of these in a single day? Or does he have to choose one of them the same way a wizard does?

Herzog

Adventurer
A 2nd edition cleric and wizard prepare spells per day.

In your example, the three spells can be cast once each in a single day. If you want to use the same spell twice, you have to prepare it twice.

The big difference between Wizard and Cleric is that the Wizard needs to have the spell in his spellbook, while the Cleric has access to all spells (assuming they are from domains he can cast spells from. A bit hazy on the subject of domains in 2nd edition, but that's what I remember)

Now for the part in which I assume you are incorrect because of a misunderstanding of the rules:

If a Wizard has an Intelligence high enough to gain bonus spells (from memory: 2 bonus spells from Int 17 assuming bonus spells for int are the same as cleric bonus spells from high wis) he can ALSO prepare 3 spells (three different, three times the same spell, or one spell twice and another spell once).

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Now for the part in which I assume you are incorrect because of a misunderstanding of the rules:

If a Wizard has an Intelligence high enough to gain bonus spells (from memory: 2 bonus spells from Int 17 assuming bonus spells for int are the same as cleric bonus spells from high wis) he can ALSO prepare 3 spells (three different, three times the same spell, or one spell twice and another spell once).

Herzog is correct about the cleric being able to prep 3 spell slots (just like the wizard preps 1). But on this point he is mistaken. In editions before 3e, wizards do not get bonus spells for having a high intelligence. Only clerics get bonus spells for having a high wisdom. It was 3e that made the gaining of bonus spells open to all spellcasting PCs with sufficiently high stats.

pwnedd

First Post
Okay. So just to make sure I understand correctly- a first-level wizard can only memorize and use one spell per day, even if he has five spells in his spellbook. A level 1 Cleric, however, can "memorize" or use one or more spells per day, depending on their wisdom score, right?

Also- For wizards they typically start with something like 4-6 spells in their spellbook. I don't remember seeing any mention (I'm sure it's there) about how many spells a cleric starts with though. Anyone know off-hand?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Okay. So just to make sure I understand correctly- a first-level wizard can only memorize and use one spell per day, even if he has five spells in his spellbook. A level 1 Cleric, however, can "memorize" or use one or more spells per day, depending on their wisdom score, right?

Right. This is reasonably balanced because the cleric probably needs to prep healing spells and his spells are generally more supportive, less reality-warping and offensive.

Also- For wizards they typically start with something like 4-6 spells in their spellbook. I don't remember seeing any mention (I'm sure it's there) about how many spells a cleric starts with though. Anyone know off-hand?

The cleric gets the full list of spells available to him. If this is the generic cleric (not a specialty cleric), he has major access to all spell spheres except elemental (to which he has minor access) and plant, animal, and weather spheres (to which he has no access at all). He can pick from any of those spells, based on the levels of spells he can cast, without having to maintain a specific spellbook.

Greenfield

Adventurer
To be clear: A Cleric's "spell book" is the entire list of Cleric spells from any book accepted by the DM as part of the campaign.

In addition, 2e was specific that Clerics as well as Wizards can "research" new spells, in essence expanding the spell list into new areas, so long as it's done with the DM's approval.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads