• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 2E 2e Bard Kits for the 4e Bard

Spatula

Explorer
I was leafing through the 2e Complete Bard's Handbook (one of few really good 2e classbooks), looking for inspiration for a 4e bard, when I started to think of ways to represent the bard kits (which really more like subclasses) in 4e. And I think that most of them are entirely portable to the new edition simply through proper character choices. Below are my suggestions for the first three kits: the Blade, the Charlatan, and the Gallant. Feel free to comment, criticisize, offer your own ideas, or praise the Complete Bard's Handbook! :)

Blade (Assassin / Spy / Weapon Master)
“Blades are master artisans with bladed weapons… [they] perform amazing displays of weapon skill and control as they flash various weapons all about their bodies with deadly precision…Blades also perform slow, elegant dances, involving incredibly precise movement and timing. These dances include thrusts, lunges, leaps, graceful arcs, etc.
“Blades have a great reputation as the most deadly weapon masters in the land. This is generally far from the truth… Blades don’t understand offensive and defensive maneuvers, nor do they know the locations of vital body parts. Blades can be effective in many combat situations, however, as they use flash and flare to enhance their attacks.”

Ideal Races: Human, Halfling, Drow, Goblin.
Alignment: Any.
Ability Scores: Dex 13+, Con or Int 13+. Blades that want to fully explore multiclassing with the rogue class will want to increase their Dex as they level, rather than their Con or Int.
Bardic Virtue: Either. Valor blades inspire their comrades with their flashy weapon displays, while cunning blades use their skill to confuse their enemies.
Skills: Acrobatics, Intimidate.
Feats: Two-Weapon Fighting, Two-Weapon Defense, Sly Dodge (Martial Power) or another rogue multiclass feat, weapon proficiencies.
Powers: Focus on weapon attacks over ranged attacks. Song of Courage and Song of Defense (both utility 2 spells) are good stand-ins for the 2e blade’s offensive/defensive spin abilities. Mobility- and intimidation-based rogue exploits are good power-swap choices, especially attacks with the Rattling keyword. However, attack powers should be avoided unless the blade’s Dex score starts high and is advanced with levels.
Equipment: “Blades often dress in black garb, even going so far as to wear masks, facial wraps, or black headgear. Their weapons are always kept in perfect condition and highly polished for maximum effect during a performance.” Blades prefer heavy & light blades, as well as exotic weapons that are particularly suited for performance displays, such as the spiked chain. Cunning or high-Dex blades will prefer studded leather (i.e. hide) armor, while valor blades will probably opt for the protection of heavier armors such as chainmail.
Instrument/Implement: Songblade.
Alternate Build: Rogue (artful dodger build), possibly with the bard multiclass feat. This version of the concept is a deadly swordsman and is not inherently magical.

Charlatan (Trickster / Con Artist)
“Charlatans are masters at manipulating people… [they] prey upon the foolish, overconfident, and greedy people around them.
“Charlatans are wanderers. They go from town to town, switching from one identity to another, always a step ahead of the last person they swindled… When times are tough and no great con comes to mind, charlatans sometimes perform sleight-of-hand tricks just to get by. Charlatans also have a knack for acquiring jobs that allow them to bluff their way through each day. Charlatans can sometimes be found masquerading as priests, healers, sages, diplomats, powerful mages, and retired heroes.”

Ideal Races: Human, Tiefling, Gnome, Doppelganger.
Alignment: Cannot be Lawful Good.
Ability Scores: Int 13+. More than other builds, charlatans are suited for making use of the bard’s Multiclass Versatility, as it helps them in impersonating a wide variety of different roles. In order to do so, the charlatan will want a 13+ in a variety of ability scores.
Bardic Virtue: Cunning.
Skills: Bluff, Diplomacy, Perception, Thievery (requires a feat), knowledge skills.
Feats: Bardic Knowledge, Jack of All Trades, Skill Training: Thievery or Sneak of Shadows, any multiclass feat.
Powers: Focus on ranged spells, especially those with the Charm or Illusion keywords. Rogue utility exploits that require training in Bluff or Thievery are good power-swap choices, as are Cha- or Int-based attack spells from other classes.
Equipment: Charlatans wear whatever is necessary to maintain their current disguise. Under normal circumstances they prefer cloth or leather armor and small, easily concealable weapons.
Instrument/Implement: Oratory, any musical instrument, wands.

Gallant (Romantic Warrior / Cavalier)
“The gallant travels the lands on the wings of romance and true love, stealing the hearts of the young and lightening the spirits of the elderly… Gallants are often mistaken for paladins or cavaliers… but they are not driven by blood lust or the desire to slay monsters for the sake of destroying evil… They defend beauty, innocence, and love.
“Their romantic outlook is such that they can always imagine a purer life just over the next ridge. Thus, they never stay in one place for long.
“The pastime of many gallants is the medieval tournament. Here the skills of jousting, dueling, archery, and other combat practices are honed. Such tournaments draw crowds… before which the gallants may perform. Although the warrior classes usually win these tournaments, gallants often win the hearts of the onlookers and steal the day’s glory away from the victorious warriors.”

Ideal Races: Human, Half-elf.
Alignment: Cannot be Evil or Chaotic Evil.
Ability Scores: Str 13+, Con 13+. Gallants that want to fully explore multiclassing with the martial classes will want to increase their Str as they level, rather than their Con.
Bardic Virtue: Valor.
Skills: Athletics, Diplomacy, History.
Feats: Mounted Combat, armor & shield proficiencies, fighter and/or warlord multiclass feats. A gallant with a low Str score may want the Melee Training feat (PHB2).
Powers: Focus on weapon attacks and spells that lift your companions’ morale.
Equipment: Gallants outfit themselves much like an idealized noble knight. They will want a horse as soon as they’re able to afford one.
Instrument/Implement: Oratory, song, poetry, harp/lyre (or other courtly instruments), songblade.

Romantic Appeal Bard Utility 2
Encounter • Arcane
Immediate Interrupt Personal
Trigger: You fail a Diplomacy check when interacting with a member of the opposite sex
Prerequisites: You must be trained in Diplomacy and follow the Code of the Gallant (see below)
Effect: Reroll the Diplomacy check. You have a -2 penalty on Diplomacy checks for the rest of the encounter when interacting with members of the same sex.

“The Code of the Gallant: The Gallant will…
…defend lovers, the innocent, and those of the opposite sex and aid them in times of need (unless they are enemies or hostile).
…never marry nor solemnly vow to only love one person.
…never retreat from combat until allies of the opposite sex have done so first (unless they are fellow gallants).
…never overstay his welcome at any place.
…spend at least half of his money on the innocent or romance.
…own only what he can carry with him.”

* The Complete Bard’s Handbook written by Blake Mobley

Last edited:

Fallen Seraph

First Post
*Drool* Blade Bard, I was sooo lucky when my DM back in 3.5 came up with a custom Blade Bard class for me. It was wonderful multi-classing into that with my Swashbuckler/Rogue (with the Daring Outlaw feat of course).

Negflar2099

Explorer
This is very cool. I miss kits. They were great ways to "slightly" modify an existing class to make something really amazing and cool. Kits really need to make a reappearance in 4e possibly as "builds" the way you do here (perhaps with special powers), as feat chains (ala the Weapon Mastery Feats like Whip), or as backgrounds that give you small but interesting special abilities. I don't care how we get them but we need to see them.

Actually I really like kits that are multiclass only. We need to see some of those.

Good job.

Now if we can only get a Beastrider kit so I can play my Halfling Giant Bat Rider. :D I miss that little guy.

FoxWander

Adventurer
*Drool* Blade Bard, I was sooo lucky when my DM back in 3.5 came up with a custom Blade Bard class for me. It was wonderful multi-classing into that with my Swashbuckler/Rogue (with the Daring Outlaw feat of course).

Not to sidetrack the OP's subject, but- Seraph, would you mind posting details on the Blade Bard class. I'd love to play a bard that can dispense with the singing. Plus, the Blade kit was one of my faves from 2E.

Orius

Legend
The Blade is probably one of the most viable kits for a full class in the book. Probably some kind of ranged Striker or something?

A lot of the other stuff could just be done with RPing and a good skill or power or whatever selection. I know in 3e, the thespian could be easily done with the core bard by putting a lot of Perform ranks into acting.

Spatula

Explorer
The Blade is probably one of the most viable kits for a full class in the book. Probably some kind of ranged Striker or something?
Ranged?

Leaving aside the "he only looks dangerous" bit, the blade is basically an Artful Dodger rogue in 4e - a flashy & mobile lightly armored swordsman. The spellcasting doesn't seem to be particularly important to the concept.

Spatula

Explorer
The Gypsy-Bard, the Herald, and the Jester! (and the Hafling Whistler, kinda)

Gypsy-Bard (Dance / Instruments / Singing)
“[Gypsies] travel the lands in caravans comprising cats, wagons, horses, and the gypsy folk. These people are well known for their strange gypsy music and dances. Some caravans survive by entertaining the communities they encounter.
“Gypsy ways are strange to others and poorly understood by most. They do not recognize the existence of private property. The fruits of the land belong to all… Likewise, gypses use only what they need and do not seek wealth or possessions for their own sake, or for the influence or power that they bring.
“Gypsy-bards wander the land, experiencing life as they go. They travel until they find something of interest: a beautiful glade, an interesting village, an audience to sing and dance before, or someone who wants to trade with them. Then they establish a temporary camp and remain until their need to see more of the world overpowers their desire to stay.”

Ideal Races: Human, Halfling.
Ability Scores: Dex 13+, Int 13+.
Skills: Acrobatics, Nature, Thievery (requires feat).
Feats: Expert Ritualist (PHB2), Sneak of Shadows.
Powers: No preference. Gypsy-bards function as oracles and should seek after Divination rituals, as well as those that require the Nature skill. They can treat animal friendship (PHB2) as a bard ritual.
Equipment: Gypsy-bards love gaudy jewelry, and wear garments that are loose-fitting and comfortable. As a result, they prefer cloth or leather armor and shun armors with skill check or movement penalties. They favor light blades or curved heavy blades (such as the scimitar or khopesh) for weapons.
Instrument/Implement: Dance, song, any musical instrument, wands, songblade.

“Gypsy-bards have an entire collection of unconventional concepts that make up their philosophy of life:
• Gypsy-bards are free thinkers. For example, many do not marry, seeking companionship only for as long as both parties agree to the arrangement.
• Gypsy-bards love nature.
• Many gypsy-bards don’t worship deities (although certain deities may look over them). Instead, they worship the concepts of nature, free will, and life.
• Gypsy-bards draw their energies from their free will, their brethren, and from their natural surroundings.
• A gypsy-bard is loyal and protects his friends, but friendship must be earned, and it is not gained easily.
• Possession and ownership are the same.
• Money is useless unless it brings you pleasure; trade is a better form of commerce.
• You should always dress and act naturally and comfortably.
• The rigid customs and beliefs of non-gypsies are foolish and should be ignored.”

Herald (Linguist / Orator)
“There are two types of heralds. One travels from place to place, relating current events across the land. They sell their tales of travel and the news they learn to those who will listen. Most medieval commoners cannot read or write, so it is up to such heralds to relate local events.
“The other type of herald secretly serves a king. It is the royal herald’s duty to uncover plots against the king and royal family. The royal herald is quick witted and fast talking… Royal courts often employ them to preside over jousting tournaments, announce the arrival of important foreign envoys, and for personal counsel.”

Ideal Races: Human, Half-elf, Hobgoblin.
Alignment: Cannot be Chaotic Evil.
Ability Scores: Con 13+.
Bardic Virtue: Valor.
Skills: Diplomacy, History, Streetwise.
Feats: Linguist (common languages).
Powers: No preference.
Equipment: A royal herald is similar to a courtier, and will be dressed in fine clothes when not adventuring.
Instrument/Implement: Oratory, horns, songblade.

Jester (Pantomime / Acting / Dancing / Jokes)
“Jesters are comedians at heart. They love to have a good time and enjoy sharing their mirth and merriment with others (even when they aren’t welcomed).
“Jesters are flamboyant, outrageous, and ridiculous. Many sages believe that jesters live in a constant state of borderline insanity. It is known that they live for attention and feel relaxed only when they are the focus of events.”

Ideal Races: Human, Gnome, Halfling, Goblin.
Ability Scores: Dex 13+, Int 13+.
Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Bluff, Thievery (requires feat).
Feats: rogue and/or defender multiclass feats.
Powers: Jesters should look for spells with the Charm or Illusion keywords, as well as those that hinder their enemies. Good rogue utility exploits to choose for power-swaps are those that require training in any of the skills listed above. Picking up a defender multiclass feat or powers that allow the character to mark opponents is a good represenation of the jester’s taunts, especially with some reflavoring.
For example, consider the paladin multiclass feat that gives the character Divine Challenge 1/encounter. If the challenge dealt psychic instead of radiant damage, and required that the character stay within 5 squares of the target and spend a minor action each round to maintain the challenge (rather than the requirement to attack or be adjacent), it would be an appropriate substitute for the kit’s “jesting” ability.
Equipment: “Jesters almost always act and dress in the most outlandish manner. Even when danger is imminent, jesters still hop around in their flashy suits with tassels and foppish hats.” Jesters wear only light armor, so as to maximize their mobility.
Instrument/Implement: Humor, tumbling, any musical instrument, wands.

---

As for the Halfling Whistler, it's an odd case. It and the Dwarven Chanter could not cast spells; they learned spells as a normal bard would, but that knowledge instead gave them resistance to those particular spells. There's no good way to translate that into 4e, and in any case, a character that can't cast spells is not a member of the 4e bard class. I would be inclined to treat the Whistler as a druid that never uses Wild Shape or Beast evocations - a nature priest, basically. The character should have a good Cha score (perhaps even swapping Cha for Wis with the druid powers) and invoke his abilities via whistles and "chattering" ("...a process of whistling, trilling, and emitting an occasional squeak...").

Also, I would use the Shire Halfling race (from the Advanced Player's Guide) over the PHB Halfling for the class. :)

Last edited:

Sadrik

First Post
I was leafing through the 2e Complete Bard's Handbook (one of few really good 2e classbooks), looking for inspiration for a 4e bard, when I started to think of ways to represent the bard kits (which really more like subclasses) in 4e.
Drool, these are totally awesome. This was a pretty good supplement. I particularly like the blade and jester :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads