• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 2024 Wings

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Interesting statement. Do you have a link describing the density of the atmosphere in the Mesozoic?
Not really, and I wouldn’t make that statement with the same confidence today. What I should have said is that Earth may have had a thicker atmosphere, which may have contributed to Quetzalcoatlus’ capacity for flight. Turns out, Earth’s ancient atmosphere is a pretty difficult thing to get accurate measurements of.

Vaalingrade

Legend
An atmosphere thick enough to make a difference would have suffocated a lot of the other life we know to have existed back then.

Flight is more about biomechanics than weight.

Dausuul

Legend
Note that Earth had a thicker atmosphere when Quetzalcoatlus was around.
As far as I can tell, the only evidence put forward for a denser Mesozoic atmosphere is that the scientists proposing it believed Quetzalcoatlus was too heavy to fly otherwise. Which is a very thin reed on which to rest such a massive claim.

Horwath

Legend
Not really, and I wouldn’t make that statement with the same confidence today. What I should have said is that Earth may have had a thicker atmosphere, which may have contributed to Quetzalcoatlus’ capacity for flight. Turns out, Earth’s ancient atmosphere is a pretty difficult thing to get accurate measurements of.
Not sure about the pressure, but id did contain more oxygen percentage.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Currently, the Fly Speed equals the (Walk) Speed, typically 30 feet (per six seconds).

Earlier I mentioned the possibility to make the Fly Speed equal 10 feet per Proficiency Bonus. Thus at the lowest tier, the Wings are Fly Speed 20 feet. Then at levels 5 to 8, the Fly Speed is 30 feet, then at levels 9 to 12 it is 40 feet, and so on until 60 feet at the highest tier.

I think I prefer this clumsier start and gradual improvement.

Let me know of your preferences.

I ended up keeping the typically Fly Speed 30. But then increasing it At Higher Levels, by allowing the use of Reaction and Move to multiply it. Thus at level 17, if using Action, Reaction, and Move, the Fly Speed typically reaches 90 feet, which is understood as the fastest natural Fly Speed possible, which suits the flavor of the Wings cantrip.

Last edited:

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
A premise of this design, is the Wings is equivalent in power to a cantrip. I stand by this, but I suspect this means I am underestimating the value of certain cantrips.

Specifically, the cantrips that Wings compares to, namely Guidance, Eldritch Blast, and Minor Illusion are probably more like the worth of a half-feat, rather than a souped-up cantrip.

Eldritch Blast is by far the best weapon possible. It does heavy 1d10 damage, is the Force damage type that virtually no creature can resist, and is a remarkable ranged attack upto 120 feet.

Most optimizers like Eldritch Blast, but personally I prefer Minor Illusion above it. And the consensus is, Guidance is more powerful than both, especially because a flat bonus to Ability Checks is scarce, and this is at-will albeit requires Concentration.

Consider a hypothetical cantrip that granted a Climb Speed. It would compare to powerful cantrips like Mind Sliver, Vicious Mockery, and Frost Bite. It feels like a tough choice between a Climb Speed and one of these cantrips.

Yet, Fly Speed is strictly better than a Climb Speed. To be fair, the Wings cantrip burns Actions, rather than Moves, so the cost is pricey to use Wings. But I still feel Wings compares to the best three cantrips.

Last edited:

Remove ads