• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) 2024 PHB Background discussion

MatthewJHanson

Registered Ninja
Publisher
Some of my initial thoughts.

I'm not sure how I feel about ability modifiers yet. I kind of liked the model of just picking a +2 and +1. Now it's just harder to play cross background instead of cross race.

I definately think having a specific language for each background is silly. Whey do all guards know dwarvish?

Yes it's super easy to modify, but then why not just say pick one language?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Some of my initial thoughts.

I'm not sure how I feel about ability modifiers yet. I kind of liked the model of just picking a +2 and +1. Now it's just harder to play cross background instead of cross race.

I definately think having a specific language for each background is silly. Whey do all guards know dwarvish?

Yes it's super easy to modify, but then why not just say pick one language?
Yeah, having a small list of language choices seems better.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I am actually trying to understand this stage.

What it seems like...

They have moved language and stat mods out of race. Ok. They will apparently move default equipment out of class. Maybe OK. So we need a step to do these things, and we want to do more with feats, as more hardcore players who buy books like feats.

Tie it all to background! But as an example, and allow customization!

It could work, but yes it should be play-tested, and probably with some new or less experience players, along with us older cynics.

Background specific languages are definitely, extremely silly. That said it's hard to know to what degree they are intended (and will be interpreted) as the suggested backgrounds, or the backgrounds, versus just examples of the sort of background players could make. The all adventurers are trilingual at a minimum idea is also silly.

The system is more modular than ever in principle. I like that on the customizeability front.

I think there should be a default, fits any background feat (my suggestion elsewhere was expertise in your two background skills), with subbing it out for a different level 1 feat presented as an advanced option. Feats are great, but it's a whole additional system with major opportunity costs that new players have to wrap their minds around to build a custom background and I think it can be simpler than that.

I am curious if traits, bonds, ideals, and flaws are going the way of the dodo. On the one hand they are a barrier to creating custom backgrounds and I rarely used them myself. On the other hand some players, particularly those new to roleplaying, definitely found them an inspiration. They were also a lot of what potentially gave the thematics of background actual weight on a character.

I do kind of feel like if everything about a background is completely modular and custom what is the point of putting it all in a package and calling it a background rather than just giving people a list of additional things beyond race and class to choose. Particularly this seems silly in terms of the choose a "background then choose a language" presentation. Why not just have every background tell you to choose two languages?

So I guess on the one hand I like backgrounds being more modular, but on the other hand completely modular backgrounds cease to be a coherent thing beyond the will of people to make character building decisions based around being true to whatever background they dream up.

Custom background remains the default, and they're pretty clear about that in playtest, but will they make it clear in the PHB and to DMs?

Custom background was already the default in 5E but it genuinely seems like the overwhelming majority of players and an a lot of DMs weren't aware it was, and some DMs didn't even seem to be aware it was "legal", and not some dodgy optional rule.

So I think given they're making background this slightly awkward combination of things, they need to make that very, very clear.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
One thing people seem to be missing is that if "Custom Background" is the default, then it ALSO means that you can pick a pre-built background and... just swap any element(s) you don't want for anything else of the same kind.

Want a farmer who has +2 STR instead of CON? Do it. Want a Cultist who knows Sign Language instead of Abyssal? Do it. Want a Soldier who has the Alert Feat instead of Savage Attacker? Yup. Just do it.

Just because you can customize doesn't mean you need to build your background from scratch. But it DOES mean that you can modify any sample backgrounds to your heart's content.

Remove ads