• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E 1e Followers in a 5e Game - Just for Fun!

The character attracts a number of followers based on 1) the Size of the Structure and 2) the Total CR (TCR) of the followers. Characters who opted for a Small Structure gain TCR 4 of followers. Those who built a Medium Structure gain TCR 6. Finally, Large Structures attract TCR 8. The TCR of the followers can be split into whichever followers are appropriate for the character’s narrative, within the guidelines below...
Mathematical complication: commoners are CR 0. :)

Grognerd

Explorer
Matt Colville did a Kickstarter for something like this.

Thanks for pointing this out. I followed the link that was provided. Looks pretty cool!

I like your exemple of the paladin. But building are not always available or need to attract followers.
Maybe use a rule based on level. TCR = character level, with a limit for individual like 1/2 TCR or 1/3 TCR.
PC under level 5 rarely attract followers.
I wouldn’t necessarily tie to land, but to fame and having an “operating base”. It could just be building the PCs acquired, or a guild hall like a mercenary company or something.

The "operating base" is the exact point. That's why I said a structure or a setting. So, for example, a Druid may not build a building, but they must at least have a sacred grove or something. There needs to be a place to rally to in order to attract the followers. Plus, this requires some sort of expenditure on the part of the PCs, which seems fair.

I am waiting for mine. The idea is sound. It also makes you able to play MORE D&D, if someone can’t make it or you just don’t have enough you can fill in with Henchman.

That's part of my thought on the matter. Not to mention it's just iconic that greater heroes attract others to their banners.

Mathematical complication: commoners are CR 0. :)

Haha. Yep. I'd just do something like 12 CR 0 followers equal CR 1. Handwaving, I know, but I don't think that'll break anything in this case!

Mon

Explorer
I like this - it's clean and flexible, with a great example provided. A framework to retire rich and powerful with minions, or go full BECMI and play the dominion rulership subgame. Or just a cool background element for high-level adventuring.

Thoughts:
* I like the extra set of followers at 13th level. It might be good to add a third set at 17th level as well? (maybe 4/6/8 TCR with no individual taking up more than half?).
* Re: the question on whether a stronghold or other base should be needed: Perhaps fewer followers without a stronghold / more followers with a stronghold? I also like the idea that the cost of upkeep for them is partially subsumed by the finances of the stronghold (taxes and so forth) rather than the PC's personal treasure.
* Re: Spending gold for it: Well it's a good incentive to collect treasure when there are no magical item Wal-Marts. In fact, since it is literally a manifestation of wealth and power, it could arguably be one of the main reasons to collect treasure (depending on the campaign).

Last edited:

Grognerd

Explorer
I like this - it's clean and flexible, with a great example provided. A framework to retire rich and powerful with minions, or go full BECMI and play the dominion rulership subgame. Or just a cool background element for high-level adventuring.

Thanks! Much appreciated!

Thoughts:
* I like the extra set of followers at 13th level. It might be good to add a third set at 17th level as well? (maybe 4/6/8 TCR with no individual taking up more than half?).

I like this idea... it is basically a repeat of the 9th level, so in effect double the followers.

* Re: the question on whether a stronghold or other base should be needed: Perhaps fewer followers without a stronghold / more followers with a stronghold? I also like the idea that the cost of upkeep for them is partially subsumed by the finances of the stronghold (taxes and so forth) rather than the PC's personal treasure.

I did think about sending fewer if there was no stronghold, but leaned against it because then there wouldn't really need to be any cost for the character or effort from the player. I thought this might be better simply because it demanded ... something. If a player didn't want the followers, all they need to do is not build a structure.

* Re: Spending gold for it: Well it's a good incentive to collect treasure when there are no magical item Wal-Marts. In fact, since it is literally a manifestation of wealth and power, it could arguably be one of the main reasons to collect treasure (depending on the campaign).

Exactly. People spend money on fortune and glory. The hopes of this was that 1) it would show in a tangible way that the character's glory was starting to spread, and 2) it gives them something worthwhile to spend money on.

Remove ads