• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E 1E Fiend Folio monsters in 4E Monster Manual!

Voadam

Legend
Cam Banks said:
Did anybody ever update the masher from the original MM? It was one of the original AD&D monsters that never got an illustration. I have a feeling people forgot it was even in the book.

Cheers,
Cam

The what?

:)

kennew142

First Post
Mark Hope said:
Colonial Insect-Formed Artificial Life :\ ...

Sorry. I was at work and didn't have my FF with me. In any event, I still think the monster was way cooler than its name. But I guess it would have to be.

The Ubbergeek

First Post
Steely Dan said:
Killmoulis!

I would love to play a Killmoulis Monk.

I remember one of my first games... had a rather crazy guy who played an half-ogre, and who hunted kilmoulis to eat them. Big ol' bag full of 'em. :D

Zander

Explorer
Evilhalfling said:
Bunny with the unicorn horn?
there was a lot of dreck in that book.
I don't have my 1E FF to hand but IIRC, that's the al-mi'raj, a creature from arabic and Near-Eastern folklore.

I tend to cut monsters from mythology more slack than I do ones that were created for D&D or any other game. The folkloric creatures, after all, probably existed in people's imaginations for quite some time, maybe many generations, suggesting that they had merit as interesting creatures. YMMV

Zander

Explorer
Echohawk said:
Yes. The masher is in Dungeon #141, p46.

Also, I feel obliged to point out that the githyanki first appeared in White Dwarf #12. Their appearance in the 1981 Fiend Folio was only their third appearance in print.
'Tis true. Many of the 1E FF monsters originally appeared in a White Dwarf column called Fiend Factory. I remember when Zvarts (later spelt Xvarts) was published. We loved killing them in droves, back in the day! :D

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Zander said:
'Tis true. Many of the 1E FF monsters originally appeared in a White Dwarf column called Fiend Factory. I remember when Zvarts (later spelt Xvarts) was published. We loved killing them in droves, back in the day! :D
A quick check reveals that a full forty Fiend Folio creatures first appeared in White Dwarf: Assassin Bug; Berbalang; Bloodworm, Giant; Bonesnapper; Carbuncle; Coffer Corpse; Devil Dog; Disenchanter; Doombat; Eye Killer; Githyanki; Grell; Hook Horror; Imorph; Mephit, Fire; Mephit, Lava; Mephit, Smoke; Mephit, Steam; Mite; Necrophidius; Needleman; Nilbog; Sandman; Shadow Demon; Sheet Ghoul; Sheet Phantom; Sussurus; Terithran; Throat Leech; Tween; Umpleby; Urchin, Black; Urchin, Green; Urchin, Red; Urchin, Silver; Urchin, Yellow; Volt; Witherstench (Skunk Beast); Witherweed and Xvart.

Christian

Explorer
Steely Dan said:
Ah, reminds me of Metamorphosis Alpha!

Isn't that what Expedition to the Barrier Peaks was? The ship from MA crashes in a remote part of Oerth ... Somehow I always imagined the initial product pitch as involving alcohol, or possibly weed. "And then, the fighting man picks up, like, a laser pistol ..." "Whoa, awesome. Should there be an extra non-proiciency penalty on that, though?" "Whatever, dude"

Remove ads