• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E 1e Fiend Folio and the 4e Monster Manual

Shroomy

Adventurer
Several weeks ago, Mike Mearls took responsibility for all the 1e FF monsters that would be appearing in the upcoming 4e MM. I was taking a look through the book today and other than the obvious examples that we know will be in the MM or DMG (Death Knight, Drow Elf, Ettercap, and Githyanki) and those that we know will not be in the first MM (achaierai), what monsters do you think will make the cut and why?

Personally, I would like to see the yellow musk creeper and the yellow musk zombie. The yellow musk creeper is an obvious leader-type, with its ability to manipulate its zombie thralls, attack at range with its musk, and drain an opponent's mind with its creeper-vines. The actual zombies would probably just be brutes of various levels, but I think that the minion rules would work very well with them.

Xill; yummy Stun Jelly; some Slaad; NYCADAEMON! FTW becuase it makes a nice figure; Mephit... again, a nice figure. The Nobel Lamia might make too nice of a figure. Kuo Toa... duh. Grimlock... yup, figure; Ettercap... fig. DEATH DOG again FTW.

WHY? Yup there are all non mechanic choices, but "marketing" choices, things that translate into figures. I don't want to be skeptical, but I can't help it. Nostalgia is a powerful thing for people like myself and that translates into expenditure of "fun money." 4E will be a great thing, especially for those like me with little time to invest into too many rules; but don't be fooled Wizards wants to cash in and every decision has a monetary effect, which they have calculated extensively. FF 1e was a good book, but not great and apart from a few entries it was average at best. Let's hope the MM4e is not just filling up space so that they can make more money with MM2 4e next year.

BTW I am very uncomfortable with the concept of leaving things out in order to get us to buy more later. Holding back can and will backfire unless this is a home run... like a grand slam.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I'm hoping for Stun Jelly, Qullan (it was in his .sig!) and Shadow Demon, for all the obvious reasons.

I'm not sure whether the Shadow Demon we've seen some details as counts as the Fiend Folio Shadow Demon - I sure hope not, because it is functionally completely different in every single respect :-(

Cheers

Because flumphs are lawful good and intelligent, I always thought they'd make a cool NPC. Like.. just this wierd alien presence behind a curtain that the players go and talk to every once in a while until someone dares peek behind it.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Peter said:
Because flumphs are lawful good and intelligent, I always thought they'd make a cool NPC. Like.. just this wierd alien presence behind a curtain that the players go and talk to every once in a while until someone dares peek behind it.

The Great and Powerful Flumph of Oz?

Tewligan

First Post
Peter said:
Ah, see, your mistake here is that flumphs don't make a cool ANYTHING. You could throw a flumph into a bucket of liquid nitrogen (and should!) and then ship the whole mess to Antarctica, and he STILL wouldn't be cool.

They should have the babbler in there, because I always loved the FF picture of him cramming some hapless adventurer down his throat. Heehee, I'm looking at it right now and it still makes me laugh!

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Plane Sailing said:
I'm not sure whether the Shadow Demon we've seen some details as counts as the Fiend Folio Shadow Demon - I sure hope not, because it is functionally completely different in every single respect :-(

Even if so, at least you have the Fiend Folio Shadow Demon now ;)

-Hyp.

Remove ads