• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E 1e DMG cover versions question

Greg K

Legend
I was thinking of picking up a copy of the 1e DMG with the Efreet cover to replace an old version that I no longer have. However, today, my friend gave me his copy with the Easley cover (he is getting rid of his non 2e game stuff). Are there any differences in interior content between the versions?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
There is one major difference - very early versions of the original cover printing omitted the two appendices (O, P) and have a number of errata issues that were later corrected. So, the 1st-5th printings are shorter than the 6th+ printings. The cover changed with the 8th printing to the Easley design.

When I was just starting D&D, one of my friends had one of the 1st-5th printings, and I was very puzzled to find it didn't actually have those appendices, as I was looking for one of them (encumbrance, IIRC) at the time.

The Easley+ printings are safe as far as having all the content in them!

Cheers!

Remove ads